Cannot Print with HP LaserJet 5

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
what-is-a-computer?

Cannot Print with HP LaserJet 5

Post by what-is-a-computer? »

I cannot print with HP LaserJet 5 in Mint 11.

Can someone please help me?????????????????????????

hplip and hpijs are both installed.
It's a usb port which is not one of the selections. It says: USB Serial Port #1. (I don't know if that's correct or not. It's not a serial port; it's a USB port.)

On my old Jaunty computer (which it works on perfectly) it say: Device URI: usb://HP/LaserJet%205.

Please tell me how to print. Thank you!

PS When I type in hp-setup and click on the first bullet of "Device Discovery" which is Universal Serial Device (USB), my device is NOT found and I get the following error message in the terminal window:

Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)
error: No devices found on bus: usb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Cannot Print with HP LaserJet 5

Post by DrHu »

[quote]hplip and hpijs are both installed.[/quite]
  • I think you only need one version, in the case of HP it is hplip (perhaps it adds previous driver versions from hpijs, but that is a matter for that program, you don't have to select it (hpijs)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... =c00100892

Start with Linux tests, and if you get nowhere, simply because usb devices either don't exist on your installed system, then I would either go back to a previous Linux version or simply reinstall this version again and watch carefully for any error conditions..

Code: Select all

inxi _F
lsusb
usbview
--you have to install that software, but it is simply a more graphical view of the devices (Guified)
http://www.hackorama.com/pages/usb.shtml

And if you have a windows partition (boot) or a windows CD, try that and see that it does work with the HP usb device as it is wired at that moment (don't change anything!)
--if it does work, then your hardware is definitely OK
  • But you always have to know for sure, before concluding that just because it worked in the past it must work now
    --that assumes nothing has really changed on your setups: hardware that is..
what-is-a-computer?

Okay. I'll check your sites. Thanks.

Does this have anything to do with a virtual machine? Why? Because I just went into vmware and my printer is there. Why would it load my printer in vmware? I wasn't even in vmware and it showed it as the default printer instead of my pdf printer which is what I use in vmware. There may be some kind of issue there.

PS I am NOT regressing and going to back to another version of Linux. I'm sticking with Mint. It's supposedly perfect..........according to my teacher. I can't go back.......ever! Getting something to print on an HP printer should be very elementary. So I would never go back to another version.......for that? No thank you.

PS/PS Thanks for your help. i'll check this stuff out.
what-is-a-computer?

Good morning, Dr.Hu.

Okay. I've checked a couple of things.

1. For one thing, something is creating folders in my home directory. I have a folder in my home directory called "LaserJet 5" which is the type of printer I have. There is a padlock on that folder. Firstly, I don't know how it was created. All I did was try to add a printer. Does that create a folder? I'm a newbie. It doesn't in Ubuntu. So please let me know on that.

2. I went into system profiler and benchmark. I clicked on USB devices. The printer is not listed there. Should it be? It is listed as the default printer under "printer."

3. Then I the inxi -f as you suggested. I get the following:

CPU[-Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (-MCP-) clocked at 1000.000 Mhz-] Kernel[-2.6.38-8-generic i686-] Up[-42 min-] Mem[-364.1/873.8MB-] HDD[-500.1GB(8.7% used)-] Procs[-164-] Client[-Shell-] inxi[-1.4.23-]

4. Then I did the lsusb and get the following:

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 050d:0109 Belkin Components F5U109/F5U409 PDA Adapter
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 050d:0002 Belkin Components
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0644:0000 TEAC Corp. Floppy
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 15a9:0004 Gemtek WUBR177G
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:0111 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Card Reader
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Do you see any errors?
what-is-a-computer?

Parallel Printer to USB Computer - Won't Print

could someone please tell me how to fix my printer so it will print?

LaserJet5
It has a parallel port
It's connected to Mint 11 on an HP computer with a USB port.

When I type in lsusb, it is reading the cable, a Belkin cable, but not seeing the printer at the end of the cable. I have researched and researched. It won't print and it won't see my printer. And done everything everyone has told me to do with all the troubleshooting.

Please ..........anyone? I don't want to have to buy another printer.

And we plugged a computer with Mint 11 but that has a serial port into a printer with a serial port and it works perfectly. So it's something to do with this parallel port on the printer.

Now surely someone can figure this out.....................but in a simple fashion.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”