canon pixma wi-fi mint 13 xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cereus

canon pixma wi-fi mint 13 xfce

Post by cereus »

Holy mother of God! :evil:

... so, I spoke too soon ... everything seemed to work perfectly on my Mini ... that is, until trying to print on our wi-fi Pixma MP560! :shock:

Found the thing with the CUPS ... localhost 631 or something ... didn't need it!

Ultimately, I simply downloaded the "debian" driver from Canon Europe 'er whatever http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0037271.asp ... extracted (just double-click the .tar in the "downloads" dialog, and the next form will show the top-level files therein, right-click on the file, and choose "extract") the "cnijfilter-mp560series-3.20-1-i386-deb" file ... into Downloads, I think it was ... still not sure what I have write access to ... or if it's even because I'm running "live" ... no matter!

Here's where I had to learn a couple Linux things ... first, I had no clue what my root password was ... but, I recall the other deallie where the guy showed how to change it ... and I didn't recall any prompt for the old one ... so, for those like me, open the terminal emulator, and do

Code: Select all

sudo passwd
enter whatever ya like ... twice!

then, do

ls
to list the files ... ya should see a bunch of folders ... one will be "Downloads" ... if ya did like me, ya'll wanna go there ...

cd Downloads
... do

ls
again, and ya should see that big honkin' filename ya extracted ...

cd
into that (copy/paste worked for me) ... then

ls
again, and ya should see a "packages" folder, and "install.sh" ... to run the install, do ...

sudo bash install.sh
... follow the prompts ... aside from

for "network", I went with all the defaults ... worked like a charm! :mrgreen: ... (when ya see "yes/no [yes]:" ... just hitting enter will go with whatever's in the []'s)

Oh ya, I just remembered, I didn't need the root password ... I did for the CUPS thing ... but that was worthless ... anyhow, I changed it just the same! :|

Still very impressed with Mint 13 Xfce USB "live" ... kind of shame I had to beat my head against a wall just to access a very popular wi-fi printer ... but if I can do it, anyone can! :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: canon pixma wi-fi mint 13 xfce

Post by pdc_2 »

bejesus, weren't you after doing well, yourself ............. :D

you seem quite fluent on all your commands and terminal work;

enjoy Mint and the printer
mudasser

Post by mudasser »

Hi,

I am new bee and tried your method to install cannon pixma mp560 but could not succeed. Following is the message in the terminal window.

mysha@mysha-Presario-CQ61-Notebook-PC ~ $ ls
Calibre Library Documents install.sh Music Pictures
Desktop Downloads mp560 packages
mysha@mysha-Presario-CQ61-Notebook-PC ~ $ cd downloads
bash: cd: downloads: No such file or directory
mysha@mysha-Presario-CQ61-Notebook-PC ~ $ sudo bash install.sh
[sudo] password for mysha:
==================================================

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Ver.3.20-1 for Linux
Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2009
All Rights Reserved.

==================================================
Execution command = sudo dpkg -iG ./packages/cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 190917 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace cnijfilter-common:i386 3.20-1 (using .../cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement cnijfilter-common:i386 ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cnijfilter-common:i386:
cnijfilter-common:i386 depends on libpopt0 (>= 1.7).
dpkg: error processing cnijfilter-common:i386 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Errors were encountered while processing:
cnijfilter-common:i386
mysha@mysha-Presario-CQ61-Notebook-PC ~ $

Please help.
cereus

Post by cereus »

sorry! ... I'm no kinda expert ... I was only documenting a seemingly repeatable procedure that worked, for me!

however, in looking at what you've posted, it seems like there's stuff missing (i.e. "cd Downloads" ... with a big "D") ... at which, despite what appears following, it's quite possible, you're not running the install.sh, ya think ya are!

also, it's showing "bash" in the prompt ... it's been a long time, but I thought bash was an "environment" of sorts?! ... then again, I wouldn't expect a problem trying to execute bash from within bash?!

it looks like this "cnijfilter-common:i386 depends on libpopt0 (>= 1.7)." may be your #1 problem?! ... I can only guess, you're either running an older Linux w/o updates?! ... maybe not an intel CPU?! ... not a "debian-based" distro?! (forgive my ignorance ... I'm just throwing out whatever!) ... not 32-bit?!

If ya'd like, ya could do as I did ... create a USB "live" persistent bootable stick (Mint 13 Xfce) ... boot to that, and try again?! ... if it don't work, I'd say it's definitely a hardware issue! ... otherwise, it's something with your Linux install/updates?!

I think that'd be the easiest way to determine what you're looking at ... otherwise, ya could try to track down "libpopt0", and install that ... but my guess is, it'll depend on yet something else, and so on! :?

Good luck!
cereus

Post by cereus »

... fair warning ... I just remembered, while I don't believe it had ANYTHING to do with my success, I DID try "adding" a printer (via the "menu", et. al.) ... I specified the IP address, at which, it prompted me the make/model ... which I chose from the "database" ... it SEEMED to work ... but it wouldn't print ... I forget the error!

Anyhow, it may be possible, attempting this, inadvertently installed something somewhere, that the procedure (above) relied upon?!

... I doubt it! ... but, there ya go!

As mentioned, I also tried using the CUPS thingy ... I forget how that went, exactly ... IIRC, somewhat similar to the "add printer" from the "menu"?!
cereus

Post by cereus »

well, that was short-lived! :?

wife tried to print a .pdf ... went into the queue ... and sat there ... for several minutes!

she rebooted into Windows to print it out ... and never looked back!

not sure if it was a printer issue, a .pdf issue, or an acrobat issue ... don't matter, now!

I'm still planning on building my own mini-ITX quad-core deallie ... and putting Mint on it ... but now I'm figuring maybe I should see about getting a copy of Windows 7 for dual-boot?! :shock: ... sucks! ... but I sure don't want all that hardware goin' to waste just 'cause I can't do one 'er two ridiculously simple things! Image

Return to “Printers & Scanners”