Print from Mint to XP USB printer HP Deskjet[SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
I do Mint
Level 2
Level 2

Print from Mint to XP USB printer HP Deskjet[SOLVED]

Post by I do Mint »

Well finally a problem I can't seem to solve without some help.
I'm running Mint 9 with lots of pleasure only trying to get the printer to work is something different.
The printer (HP Deskjet 3325) is connect on a XP USB port, to be short the PC from my wife.
Installing the printer seems to go just like that, even during a test print Mint says it all works fine but.........the printer does nothing at all :)
I tried cups and HPLIP but the printer is not showing up. SAMBA install works, finds the print so it seems okay but does nothing.
Or I make a mistake or I overlook something here.
The printer is connected to a USB port on the XP machine, in XP it says USB....Virtual port.
Anybody has an idea how to get this baby to work?
Thanks in advance and here are the screenshots where it seems all fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oh yes, I do Mint :)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Printing from Mint to XP connected USB printer HP Deskje

Post by altair4 »

The only thing I can think of are all those spaces in the name. It's been a while since Mint9 but I seem to remember that cups had issues with the "%20" escapes for printer names back then. You might want to go to /etc/cups/printers.conf and see if there are "%20" or if it replaced it with just "20".

Another option would be to just change the printers share name on WInXP to something without spaces like HP3325.

Sorry, that's the best I've got.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
I do Mint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by I do Mint »

Maybe very stupid but to view printers.conf I have to use the vi command right?
Since all I get to see is an almost empty basic printers.conf file.

update: Just discovered that the whole que on the XP printer was filled with 12 jobs coming from Mint. I had to dump all in the spooler with a MS script since cancelling the print jobs didn't work.
Now I found out that Mint send the print job to the printer, the printer wakes up, start shaking his inkt cardridges to get ready and then ........... nothing any more. So it doesn't print and leave the print job in the print que.
Looks to me he is receiving a print job he can not handle, in the que it says RAW coming from guest, which is correct.
It is getting stranger by the minute, any ideas?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

On the XP box:

Control panel -> Printers & faxes
Then Right-click the Printer -> Properties -> Ports tab > and uncheck "enable bidirectional support"
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
I do Mint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by I do Mint »

altair4, thanks so much since you were correct.
Unbelievable that this was causing the problem, hopefully other people will solving their printer issues with this topic too.
Once again, thanks a million!

Erwin

Return to “Printers & Scanners”