USB Printer setup with Netgear router

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
artie99

USB Printer setup with Netgear router

Post by artie99 »

First off let me disclose that I am a complete noob to Linux but I'm loving Mint more each day. One problem to solve and I think WIn7 is gone for good.
I'm using it on an Asus EeePC and have had very little trouble getting everything to work with one exception. I have an HP USB printer on a Netgear WNDR4500 router. There are two USB ports one with the printer and one with a flash drive. Accessing the drive is no problem but I can't get the printer working or even find it. Netgears web site has nothing usefull so I'm hoping someone here has figured this out.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: USB Printer setup with Netgear router

Post by altair4 »

I don't know from your post what operating system you are using so I'm going to assume it's Mint14-Cinnamon.

Run the following command to access the printer config utility:

Code: Select all

system-config-printer
Click "Add" and if you are lucky it will show you the printer attached to the router when you expand the "Network" folder.

If not then it depends on how the router is sharing the printer - as a samba printer or a Linux printer. Take a look at section of the following HowTo to see the different ways you cann connect: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=28397

Since the router ( I have never used a netgear router ) should have a static lan side ip address you should be able to connect to it by specifying it's ip address and printer name.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
artie99

Re: USB Printer setup with Netgear router

Post by artie99 »

Sorry, it's Mint Maya KDE.
I tried what you suggested and No I'm not lucky it didn't show up. I looked a bit closer at how it works with Windows. You have to have a memory resident program running and it shows up as a "virtual USB printer". I guess I'll have to try Netgears site but the only thing I found last time was a reference that the router would work with Linux and a link to an Ubuntu forum. Nice support.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”