[SOLVED] Oh brother, where art thou

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KirbySmith

[SOLVED] Oh brother, where art thou

Post by KirbySmith »

Last Sunday I installed Mint 14 Cinnamon. My Mint PC is on VLAN 1 and network printers are on VLAN 20. There are two printers. Both can easily be accessed and meddled with administratively from the Mint PC using Firefox pointed to their IP addresses. Ping to the IP address works.

Using the truly minimalist printer GUI under Preferences, I inserted the IP address of the HP printer, clicked find on network, the printer was found, I clicked on ADD, it installed, and works fine. The IP address block shows the correct address. No special firewall settings seem to be needed beyond what I have.

If I insert the IP address that goes to the Brother MFC-9320cw in the printer GUI, it finds the Brother printer and allows me to add it. However, in the IP address block it shows the printer alphanumeric name not the IP address like it does for the HP. Mulitple attempts lead to the same result. Print jobs to this printer stall. Forced installation of drivers makes no difference. I had no problem establishing this printer using just the counterpart (but more extensive) GUI in Ubuntu 9.10 and later in 10.04.1. Do I need to install the foomatic GUI to get the IP address accepted? Something else?

Thanks for any help.

kirby
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KirbySmith

Re: Oh brother, where art thou

Post by KirbySmith »

It appears that after some false starts the install tool at Brother will do the right thing if the right inputs are used.

Start here http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... tml#f00104

For me, Firefox just opened the script in a second scroll window, so I had to copy and paste it into a file that I named linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1

Otherwise, follow the bash command approach of post 6 of http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=103953 (which is a copy of the one at Brother) where I discovered the existence of this tool.

I just prepended sudo to the command.

One critical step is that if you don't want a lineprinter or a fail, where the command shows "Brother machine name", it means <Brother machine name>, i.e., just insert the model number string in place of those three words.

After choosing yes for network users, wait for a list before proceeding. In my case, the answer was 11 for Specify IP address, which I typed in after being asked for it. Don't rush the process thinking it is waiting for an answer.

kirby

Return to “Printers & Scanners”