Brother DCP-130C not scanning in Linux Mint 14 32bit

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikebalemi

Brother DCP-130C not scanning in Linux Mint 14 32bit

Post by mikebalemi »

Hi
According to the Brother site, I have downloaded "brscan2-0.2.5-1.i386.deb" for the above model.

I can print no problem at all which is great but I cannot for the life of me scan despite following many scary instructions such as edit /etc/fstab and so on.

With the device connected and powered on, I try to run "Simple Scan", click on the scan too and get an error "Failed to scan - unable to connect to scanner" If I try again the dots go around in a circle as it it is scanning but nothing happens. I have to use system monitor to stop the application.

Xsane tries to find a scanner but eventually, after a few seconds produces: "Failed to open device 'brother2:bus4:dev1': Invalid argument"

None of the instructions I have found have been specifically for Linux Mint 14 Nadia 32bit and maybe that is my problem. Any assistance greatly apreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Brother DCP-130C not scanning in Linux Mint 14 32bit

Post by pdc_2 »

so there is this instruction set from Brother

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... scn1a.html

if you copy and paste
dpkg -l | grep Brother
and copy and paste back what you get ..........it is looking to see the drivers are installed.

It is Step 5 of the above list that needs extra tweaking.....I wonder if you were able to get it all done........

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... html#u9.10

so you need to open the text editor that is for your system: I use gedit.....others seem to use pluma......so assuming it is pluma you need to add an entry to the file
/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
and so the COMMAND to open it........so you can edit it...........is
sudo pluma /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
.......look for the bit that says
LABEL="libsane_usb_rules_end"
and just before that paste in what Brother recommend, which is
# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
SAVE; CLOSE;

............reboot.....................any joy?

If you install the scan-key-tool

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... _scn3.html

......I understand it means you can scan by pressing the scan button on your MF device

..........having installed it you can test it detects your device with the command
brscan-skey -l
and then run it by
brscan-skey
mikebalemi

Re: Brother DCP-130C not scanning in Linux Mint 14 32bit

Post by mikebalemi »

It has been a long time since I came back to address this problem and in the meantime you have posted your solution which has worked 100%. Thank you so much. The Xsane application is awesome and it is the first time I have seen it working! Simle Scan works as well. All I had to do was add those 2 lines to /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules and I was away.

Thank you so much. :D

Return to “Printers & Scanners”