Boot from DVD it WORKS!

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Boot from DVD it WORKS!

Postby melsevier on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00 am

Have you noticed that when you boot from the DVD that it automatically configures for all the hardware attached to your computer.
When you install from the same DVD, the hardware that was just working stops working, and now the battle begins to try and make it work again.

I have Linux Mint 14 "Cinnamon" and an MP-620 Canon wireless printer. It worked fine off the DVD but now it just sits there scanning and refusing to print.
So I decided to go back to the install DVD. You can do that. I booted off the DVD and Yes! it worked again. So I decided to save the configuration the DVD was using, to a file on my hard-drive.

Now all I did was re-boot and restore the configuration I had saved and things started to work again. My concern is that the installation should do the same. What is it that makes the Install DVD suddenly act as if it has no idea what it did to make it work before the installation to the hard-drive? I understand that those items where working in an environment not controlled by quite so many things as it is booting off a simple DVD operating system. But what is it that complicated everything so much and in doing so breaks so many things during a permanent install.

Maybe it is all those updates. Almost 200 of them right after the install. So many hands on your system mucking it all up. Seems it should be a little easier that all this. We are close to finding what works. Just thought this might help get a us a little closer.

I also found that when using Virtualbox and wanting to get Internet access, simply bridging the Internet connections will give you access. And many of the hardware items I want to make work, do so in the virtual Windows environment, and thus are now usable in Linux through the emulation.

I know there are ways to make it work, I just wish I didn't have to. That instead it just would.

Mark
melsevier
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Printers & Scanners