Preferences->Printers does NOT successfully configure my Brother MFC9840CDW printer. It configures the printer, but the test page does not print. This is how I solved this issue:
1) Open Synaptic, and delete all brother printer related packages you may have installed trying to solve your printing problem
2) Open Preferences->Printers, and delete all configured Brother printers that don't work
3) Download the DEB drivers for your Brother printer model from this site:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... d_prn.html
4) Open a console terminal and Install the lpr driver, then the CUPS wrapper driver
5) sudo dpkg -i mfc9840cdwlpr-1.0.3-1.i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i mfc9840cdwcupswrapper-1.0.3-1.i386.deb
Note: You may need to run sudo mkdir -p /var/spool/lpd before the lpd driver will install
Note: installing the cups wrapper took a LONG time to complete. I thought it was failing it was so slow.
6) From a console terminal, run
Note: Do NOT try to configure the printer using Preferences->Printers. It did not work for me.
7) Follow the configuration steps in the GUI for configuring your printer. Information I selected was:
Clicked on Network Printer
Selected "AppSock/HP JetDirect"
Entered the IP address for my printer in the Host: selection box, left port 9100 alone
Clicked Forward button
Clicked Forward button on remaining dialogs to configure my printer
Specified a Human readable name
8: Pressed Print Test Page
9) Verified test page was good
10) Selected printer I just configured as default
Note: After configuring my printer, Preferences->Printers does display the printer I just configured, and Print Test Page then worked using this tool.
I've followed these steps for configuring two computers I have running Mint 13, and it worked flawlessly.