Printer setup

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gwtx

Printer setup

Post by gwtx »

I am new to linux. I am tired of Microslop. I have heard for some time now how linux has become very user friendly to windows converts. I have been "playing" with computers for about 25 years or so, worked with main frames a liitle, even got into fortran a wee bit. But, this linux is very alien to me, especially the terminology, but I am going to try to learn, which at my age is not easy. By the time I get to the end of a sentence, I've forgotten what the subject was.
Enough,,, I have loaded up Mint 13 maya cinnamon. I have most things setup that can be done without the "TERMINAL".
I'm still looking for a list of commands for the terminal, with explanations for each. Now to my problem. I have a Brother MFC 7360N laser printer on my home network, and I can't get it installed. I can talk to it via the address, mint can see it, but when I click "print test page" it changes state from "ready" to "processing", and then to "paused" without printing the page. I went to CUPS, and went thru that setup, all is well until I try to print, then it can't find the printer.
I have read numerous posts simular to my situation, but for the most part I don't understand the solutions well enough to follow through. I need the "newbyest" language possible. The golden years aren't all they are cracked up to be,,,for some of us :) Thanks in advance for any and all help. Gary
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gwtx

Re: Printer setup

Post by gwtx »

I guess linux is not ready for me yet. I'll try again when it gets to be more like windows. aaarrrrggghhh.
Spinnekop

Post by Spinnekop »

Hey Gary - don't give up.
Spinnekop

Post by Spinnekop »

Have you tried following the instructions on this page?
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... #MFC-7360N
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

Hey, thanks. I had looked at that page, but the terminal commands scared me off. I didn't know there was a way to "point & click" the install of cups and the lpr. Now the printer responds,,,but,,,it just starts printing(or spitting out) blank pages when I try to print a libre file.??? Any ideas anyone? I know, newbs are a real pain. :)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Brother MFC 7360N laser printer

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi there;

it would be good to get you to use a terminal ......you have obviously got some very seasoned computer use behind you .....

if you open a terminal and COPY and PASTE by using the top line of the terminal.....find MENU then to the right is EDIT and down to paste
sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
if you copy and paste back what you get ....

__________________________________________________________________-

what does http://localhost:631/printers/

this show; if you paste it into a spare browser window

I enclose a thumbnail of what mine shows;

you can return your CUPS as a thumbnail by going to ........Menu .........Accessories.......take screenshot and select 'area to grab' and hitting the Take Screenshot button ......

_____________________________________-

If you don't have brother scripts installed ...........

Brother make an install script;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12342527

this link should take you to post #5 where mambo described what he did

FIRST .....if we get you to open a text editor so it is ready to go ...........

......I think you should have gedit installed

so if you copy and paste this command into a terminal .........use the top line of the terminal to find FILE then move to the right to EDIT and thence down to paste ..when the time comes ............
gksudo gedit
so leave gedit open and ready whilst we get you to go to the above link

by clicking on the link in this post,

http://www.brother.com/cgi-bin/agreemen ... nglish_lpr

it takes you to the Brother website; and it will show you the script that Brother provide; as it is open-source linux, you get to see the text of the script;

if you SELECT ALL of the text; and then COPY all that text;

you then PASTE it into what should be a ready and waiting gedit;

save the file as gwtx.sh and save it to your Downloads directory

then as mambo describes, you alter the properties of the file ......so it will run as an executable file ...............

and ....having done the changing of the properties......and to get the file to run .. you can see the commands that again you can copy and paste into the terminal (or type as you wish!!)

are
cd Downloads
and
./gwtx.sh
that should then run a script in the terminal that may ask you for some interaction but its main job is to get the correct drivers installed

........... let us know what you think .........
Last edited by pdc_2 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

Thank you very much. That's quite an effort to provide all that info, and, in an elementary way that even I SHOULD be able to understand. I'll work on it, and let you know how it goes. Thanks again. Gary
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

PDC, I went through the proc several times to no avail(except learning about the "Terminal"). It went fine, got to the end and asked if I wanted to print a test page, I said yes of course,,,waited and waited, nothing. If I go to "printers" , the status is "ready", I click print a test page, the status goes to "processing" and stays there. The printer works from windows. What is the meaning of the step"would you define the URI", I clicked No, as did mambo801.? I'm still looking for the fix. Thanks for the help.
How critical are the 548 updates that are available ? I can pick out some that I know I don't want, but I'm unfamiliar with most of them.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

What is the meaning of the step"would you define the URI"
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... tml#f00104

Brother answer it by saying
The driver installation will start. Follow the installation screen directions.
When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?",

For USB Users: Choose N(No)
For Network Users: Choose Y(Yes) and DeviceURI.
________________________________________________________________________________________-

in your first post you said
I can talk to it via the address
so I am guessing your printer is wireless and the address would be the URI
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

yes, it's a network printer. Works from windows, and from the other computers on windows. I have been thru the Brother installer countless times, answering no and yes to the URI question. All appears to be well, the pop up says it's printing, and "printing complete", but nothing happens except the status changes from "ready" to "processing", and appears to hang there. I'm still lookin and learnin, but I have some other things in life to attend to.
Thanks for the help, I'll report if I have anything to report.
gwtx

Post by gwtx »

Never did get it to work. Guess I don't really need it ?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Guess I don't really need it ?
.......only you can really answer that!

It should be possible to get such a brother printer working....... if one perhaps connects it via USB and establishes that; then moves on to get the wireless connection working ?

Return to “Printers & Scanners”