How to connect a Canon ip2600 Printer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sandra Brooks

How to connect a Canon ip2600 Printer

Post by Sandra Brooks »

Hello, I am new to the Linux Mint community and was fiddling with the new computer software until I needed to hook-up my old computer's printer to this new one. Previously, I had a Dinosaur of a computer and it was compatible with the Printer, the ip2600 Canon. Now, when I attempt to hook-up my older printer to this newer computer I received the , "Printing complete" portion, but never printed the document. I was wondering if Linux Mint is even compatible with this printer and, if so, what can I do to physically print a document? I know there was an older post on this similar topic but it didn't fully answer the question so I decided to post this to see if I have any luck. Hopefully, I do not need a new printer and maybe I'm over looking something when I try to set it up. Also, I am not sure which Linux Mint I currently operate; I assume it is the newest one. If it makes a major difference I will look to see which update of Linux MInt I am using. Thank you so much in advance for your time and help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dennis666
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to connect a Canon ip2600 Printer

Post by Dennis666 »

Hello !

I have same problem with Canon Pxima ip 2200. I downloaded Turboprint there it works but its pay-software. I need a free solution. Because i do not buy a driver for old printer. Has someone any ideas ?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Sandra; so the ip2600 is a 5yr old printer;

Canon provide drivers in the Debian format for this ip2600; (Mint is from ubuntu, that uses debian packages...........)

you don't say if you have the 32bit or 64bit format; can you tell us that please? (If you don't know....if you open a terminal.........go bottom left to Menu and up about 4 ..) and to paste in the command below, use the menu on the terminal's top line ie go File and then along to Edit and down to Paste ..)

the command to work out if you have 32bit or 64bit is
uname -a
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Dennis; the ip2200 is 8yrs old; Canon provided rpm packages for this printer then; one can use alien to convert rpm packages to debian; so I can give advice if you wish to do that; but again; are you using 32bit or 64bit please (if you don't know, please see above)
Last edited by pdc_2 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dennis666
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dennis666 »

Hello i am Using 64 bit Mint 15 with all updates.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

how to install the Canon ip2200 drivers for 64bit system on

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Dennis;

so you need symbolic links first; if you copy and paste these commands;
sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib64
next; if we install alien, that converts rpm packages to deb packages; (that Mint uses)
sudo apt-get install alien

now to get the packages for the ip2200

go here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0900718201.html

and download the cnijfilter-common-2.60-3.i386.rpm

and go here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0900718701.html

and download cnijfilter-ip2200-2.60-2.i386.rpm

now the commands; to convert and install the rpm packages are
cd Downloads
sudo alien -i cnijfilter-common-2.60-3.i386.rpm
to install the common package first;

then
sudo alien -i cnijfilter-ip2200-2.60-2.i386.rpm
that should get you an ip2200 driver installed; that hopefully will print for you
Sandra Brooks

Post by Sandra Brooks »

Hello, I would like to thank you both again. It is the 64 GB version and is the Prixma ip2600 not 2200. So I would need a converter is what it looks like. Where could I obtain one or should I not waste my time and think about a new printer? I would really like to know because I have a lot of work to print out soon but of course, no rush. Just helping me is enough and thank you two again in advance.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Sanda;

1) if we get you to copy and paste 2 commands; to tell the Canon drivers to look in lib64; (as they are 32bit drivers, they think only to look in lib) .........it's sort of like telling a guy each time where to find his socks.........

2) install the drivers.........then hopefully things will work .............

symbolic links: copy and paste into a terminal: it's about 4 up on the left from the Menu button: use the mouse and the top line of the terminal, ie go to File and then right to Edit and then down to Paste ; you will be asked for your sudo password
sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64
then
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib64

install drivers:

go here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0100118902.html

and download the cnijfilter-common_2.90-1_i386.deb ........................we'll install it in a minute ............

now go here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0100119102.html

and download the cnijfilter-ip2600series_2.90-1_i386.deb

if I give you some commands to install the above 2 programmes: we will do the COMMON first;
cd Downloads
then
sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-common_2.90-1_i386.deb
then
sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-ip2600series_2.90-1_i386.deb
then
sudo service cups restart

hopefully you will have a printer driver and it will print ........
Dennis666
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to connect a Canon ip2600 Printer [ SOLVED ]

Post by Dennis666 »

Hello to all !

Thank you for your help !

http://www.ubuntukiller.com/2013/05/how-to-install-printer-driver-canon.html i found here a super tutorial !

Return to “Printers & Scanners”