Scanning problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hapibeli
Level 2
Level 2

Scanning problem

Post by hapibeli »

My Brother DCP 7065DN laser is working well on our network, from our desktop and laptops, BUT, I can't get it to scan over the network.
Here is the error code;

Failed to open device 'brother 4: net 1; dev 0 Invalid Argument

I've installed the Brother drivers for my DCP 7065DN printer, including the scanner drivers.

but the scanning drivers are in (/opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4) so I used the following instructions from SANE, but I did it within /opt and it won't scan.
Soooooo, do I mkdir /usr/local/Brother/sane and copy these files in opt over to /usr/local/Brother/sane/setupSaneScan4 , which is where SANE says they should be?

The actual page instructions For Brother hardware using my printer.......

In order to install a Brother Scanner or Printer/Scanner combo you need the right driver (which can be found in the AUR). There are only four drivers to choose from (brscan1-4). In order to find the right one you should search for your model at the brother linux scanner page.

After you installed the driver you need to run (eg. setupSaneScan4 for brscan4 compatible devices):

# /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4 -i

so the drivers/scanner are recognized by sane.

For network scanners, Brother provides a different configuration tool for each brscan version (eg. brsaneconfig2 for brscan2 compatible devices):

# brsaneconfig4 -a name=SCANNER_DCP7065DN model=DCP7065DN ip=192.168.0.102

Well now....I went to another laptop, and did what I asked about above and ran the brscanconfig4, but still no scanning joy...Arghhhhh!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Scanning problem

Post by Fraoch »

I have a Brother MFC-7460DN which uses brscan4. It does install files in /opt/brother/scanner/brsan4 and there is a "setupSaneScan4" in that directory. I do not have a /usr/local/Brother/sane/setupSaneScan4 but the scanner does work so making that directory may not help you (but it couldn't hurt either).

I have to reinstall this every time I upgrade and I only recall there being a problem once - SANE couldn't find the scanner for quite a while, then suddenly detected it with no further intervention on my part.

All I can suggest is uninstall - reinstall?
hapibeli
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hapibeli »

Thank you Fraoch...

Soooo, after messing around in a terminal trying to get my networked scanner to work, I've botched up my ability to install using gui's and the terminal...
Here is my latest attempt to reinstall the missing brscan so desperately needed. :cry: :oops:

First, I try to install anything and;

sudo apt-get install musescore
[sudo] password for hapibeli:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: The package brscan4 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Then I take the package downloaded from Brother and cp it to /opt/brother and try to install;

/opt/brother $ sudo dpkg -i brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb
(Reading database ... 152895 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace brscan4 0.4.2-1 (using brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.prerm: 3: /var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.prerm: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4: not found
dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
dpkg: trying script from the new package instead ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: 3: /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4: not found
dpkg: error processing brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb (--install):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
This software is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.postinst: 4: /var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.postinst: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4: not found
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered while processing:
brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fraoch »

The only thing I can suggest - the Brother instructions use the "--force-all" switch like so:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg  -i  --force-all [driver name]
which may seem ugly but it may just work through errors like you're seeing.
hapibeli
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hapibeli »

Gaaaaaackkk! :oops: :cry: :?

sudo dpkg -i --force-all ~/Downloads/brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb
(Reading database ... 152895 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace brscan4 0.4.2-1 (using .../brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.prerm: 3: /var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.prerm: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4: not found
dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
dpkg: trying script from the new package instead ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: 3: /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4: not found
dpkg: error processing /home/#####/Downloads/brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb (--install):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
This software is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.postinst: 4: /var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.postinst: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4: not found
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/hapibeli/Downloads/brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb

$ sudo dpkg -s ~/Downloads/brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb
dpkg-query: error: --status needs a valid package name but '/home/#####/Downloads/brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb' is not: illegal package name in specifier '/home/####/Downloads/brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb': must start with an alphanumeric character

If I try to run gdeb l get this message;

This is a major failure of your software management system. Please check for broken packages with Synaptic Package Manager, check the file permissions and correctness of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' and reload the software information with: 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install -f'.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fraoch »

hapibeli wrote:Thank you Fraoch...
Don't thank me, I'm feeling pretty bad about where following my advice has got you here. :(

OK, deep breath. A few thoughts...

Are you sure that brscan4 has been completely removed? Perhaps you left configuration files behind? I think the flag to set in apt-get is -purge but I just do this in Synaptic - look for the last section marked Not Installed (residual config). Remove it from there.

Also are you sure you have the right architecture for your system? i386 (i.e. 32-bit) and not amd64 (64-bit)?

I feel bad because I've never seen this before and have no idea how to get you back from the brink here.
hapibeli
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hapibeli »

Welllllll... I cleaned out all of the brscan files in /var/lib and now I'm able to download and install packages again!! Woo woo! :D :D :lol: :lol:

But, I still can't scan over the network. Printing works fine over the network, but scanning only works via usb. :? :? :oops:

Return to “Printers & Scanners”