"Petra" and Canon Printer (MG3500 Series) - help!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chrisnz

"Petra" and Canon Printer (MG3500 Series) - help!

Post by Chrisnz »

Hi Everyone

Today I installed Mint 16 on a friends PC and removed the "aging" MS XP OS! She like the looks of MINT and is still very new to Linux OS's. The only pce of Hardware not "playing ball" was the new printer she bought 3 weeks ago!! Argghhhh. :roll:

Cannon MG3500 pixma - so I had a little time to troll Cannon USA site, http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support
the Europe Site however just couldn't find the Linux Drivers.

Tried the NZ site and may have a solution - just a case of time to go back and try it - will post here how it goes asap.

If anyone else has had this same issue with this machine please post here.

Thanks in Advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: "Petra" and Canon Printer (MG3500 Series) - help!

Post by pdc_2 »

This device has both printer and scanner capabilities:

Canon supply drivers for linux;

go here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 50402.html

and download the debian package; that is for Ubuntu and Mint;

it comes down as cnijfilter-mg3500series-4.00-1-deb.tar.gz; save it when asked; by default it should be saved in the Downloads directory ........

before we install it, if we check if you have a library file installed;

if you copy and paste this command into a terminal (control + Alt + t) and paste into this; (using the menu at the top and mouse............
dpkg -s libtiff4
if the terminal says it is installed, great; if not, install with
sudo apt-get install libtiff4

now back to installing the Canon printer driver (debian package)

commands: (to copy and paste into a terminal, and assuming the device is usb connected; plugged in and turned on ............)
cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mg3500series-4.00-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-mg3500series-4.00-1-deb
./install.sh
there should then be a flurry of activity and the printer driver should be installed;

Canon provide ScanGearMP to run the scanner side of things

go here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 52102.html

to get scangearmp-mg3500series-2.20-1-deb.tar.gz

and install; in a similar way to above; by .........turning off the terminal; and turning it on again ........ then .........
cd Downloads
tar -zxvf scangearmp-mg3500series-2.20-1-deb.tar.gz
cd scangearmp-mg3500series-2.20-1-deb
./install.sh
to run ScanGearMP,

the command is
scangearmp
and if we get you all set up as above, we can finish off by covering how to set up a launcher for ScanGearMP

(computers follow instructions absolutely so the way will be smoother if you can exactly follow the above instructions!!)

best wishes
Chrisnz

Post by Chrisnz »

Many Thanks PDC_2

You have "Made my Day" so to speak. This has to be the most comprehensive instruction i've every had that i can actually follow :) Not that i havnt used the terminal for hard things like "LS" show me all files or "Sudo" when I think i know something... lol.

I did find the Asia site and it was NOT in english haha but your link is in English - Whew!

Hope to try this during the weekend. Will post feedback. Thanks again
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

good luck with the install!

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks for your kind words Chris; hope the install goes well; let us know how it all goes
Chrisnz

Post by Chrisnz »

Thanks pdc_2 - Install went Seamlesly Many Thanks - Printer working well, also via network from a Windows 8 Laptop. Just a bit of fiddling with the scanner to do however I'm expecting this to work ok too.

Regards
Chris
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

glad the install went well;

as the initiator of the thread, you can change its title to SOLVED; so if you do that, it helps anyone following in your wake;
Just a bit of fiddling with the scanner to do
.............. wireless fiddling? hope it all gets sorted

Return to “Printers & Scanners”