Printer Driver difference?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marine

Printer Driver difference?

Post by Old Marine »

I have an Epson Workforce 845 printer. Have been using it with the proper Epson driver through Mint 13, 14 and 16 and it has worked fine, supporting the Duplexer function.

I am now using both Mint 16, and trying Mint LXDE. Same driver on both distros. Mint 16 supports the Duplexer function, while LXDE does not even show that option. Am I missing something here? Thanks.
--Don

I should mention I am using latest driver from Epson site, not Avasys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Printer Driver difference?

Post by kyphi »

Possibly you do not have all the required drivers. I noticed a very recent (2014) driver on the list here:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... archModule
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Old Marine

Post by Old Marine »

No, the latest driver for this printer is an all-in-one. Works fine on all the other Mint releases! Marked on your site as "Linux latest"! But thanks for the site check!
--Don
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

No - not the one marked as the "latest" but the one issued 10th March, 2014 - version 1.4.0

By the way, Avasys no longer provides distribution of Seiko-Epson drivers.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Old Marine

Post by Old Marine »

Well, I loaded 1.4 and not only does it not support the duplexer function, it loacked up the machine solid and even Alt,>F2 wouldn't kill it. Don't think that is the answer.
--Don
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Sorry about that, Don, I gave the information in good faith.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Old Marine

Post by Old Marine »

No doubt Kyphi. Grateful for any help, since I was getting nowhere. But right now, I'm wishing for Avasys back :roll: Thanks again!
--Don
Old Marine

Post by Old Marine »

I would add one more item to my problem. I'm so used to having to go find the driver for this printer that it didn't even occur to me to see if the "built-in" to the basic system might have a driver. So I removed those that I had loaded, and attempted to use what was shipped with the install. Lo and behold, it did have a driver which it loaded. It STILL does no offer support for the duplexer. Have to believe AVASYS had a better handle on this printer that the Epson folks.
--Don
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Duplex setup for Epson 845

Post by pdc_2 »

we switched to Cinnamon (from Mate); and the configure printers option in Cinnamon: to me: seems non-existent;

we set up our Canon (which does duplex) with Mate;

if printing with LibreOffice, one can configure the printer there with the command
./usr/lib/libreoffice/program/spadmin
that opens a small GUI: do you want to try that? There is a duplex option there ............... (Properties)
Old Marine

Post by Old Marine »

Hi pdc, Yes LibreOffice has always had the duplex option available. Sadly, it won't help me much, since little that I print goes through LibreOffice. And I just hate killing that many trees. I find it funny that L.O does know it's there, but the Epson driver doesn't. Warped sense of humor, I guess. But thanks for the info. I hadn't yet tried L.O.
--Don
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Duplex setup for Epson 845

Post by pdc_2 »

I was curious what our adobe programme looked like when I entered the print command:

(It also offers the CLI version); so I enclose the screenshot; it allows a duplex select

and the command line for our MG3100; that the adobe programme displays when the print GUI is called
lpr -P MG3100USB -o Resolution=600dpi -o ColorModel=rgb -o PageSize=A4 -o PageRegion=A4 -o MediaType=plain -o InputSlot=front2 -o CNExtension=2 -o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble
Old Marine

Post by Old Marine »

Hi pdc, and thanks, but I'm not looking for a "workaround" solution. Either it works properly, or I'll look for another Mint solution which has worked so far. Best printer I've had in years, and I want a solution similar to what I've had with other Mint releases. Guess I'll see what Update pack 9 brings, or go with the next long term release of Mint Mate.
--Don

Return to “Printers & Scanners”