Linux Driver for Canon MX512 "SOLVED" Thanks

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HarrisCreekCentral

Linux Driver for Canon MX512 "SOLVED" Thanks

Post by HarrisCreekCentral »

I am very new (One week) to Linux Mint16, rruniing on 32 Bit system. I searched and found suggestions for other models to go to Canon and download Canon driver for the Linux System....I went to canon, slect the driver for the MX512, it on shows Mac and Windows. Is there someone that can offer and old fellow (76) where to get started. Thanks..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux Driver for Canon MX512

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Harris;

welcome to the forums: Canon supply drivers for your machine: both to drive the printer and the scanner: ScanGearMP is the name of the programme to run the scanner

Printer

go here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 12002.html

and download what they offer: cnijfilter-mx510series-3.70-1-deb.tar.gz SAVE when asked ..and by default it will be saved in your Downloads directory (also called a folder)

if you open a terminal: ...............how to do that ??............................go to menu bottom left; and up about 4 or 5 should be either the word Terminal or an icon looks like a TV screen: click on that; to paste things into it, use the top line, the Menu bar so a paste command involves navigating with the mouse from file; to the right to Edit and down to Paste ......

the commands to install are: (copy from here and paste into the terminal, and hit enter key after each paste ......)
cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mx510series-3.70-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-mx510series-3.70-1-deb
./install.sh
.........that should install the printer driver

SCANNER

first: close the terminal; and then open it again................... I can explain why later .........

now go here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 13202.html and download scangearmp-mx510series-1.90-1-deb.tar.gz
cd Downloads
tar -zxvf scangearmp-mx510series-1.90-1-deb.tar.gz
cd scangearmp-mx510series-1.90-1-deb
./install.sh
.........that should install the scanner driver

to run the scanning programme, the initial command is
scangearmp
in the terminal, and you need a launcher after that; let us know if the above all works, and we can guide you with a launcher install
Last edited by pdc_2 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarrisCreekCentral

Thanks PDC_2....First, I was quite surprised to even find this original post. When I hit the submit button it disappeared, and I could find nothing. Tonite I checked "My Posts" and here it is.. Thank you so much for your answers. I am working tonight from a secondary computer, so I have bookmarked the page and I shall try your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks again.

Harvey in Kelowna, BC.
HarrisCreekCentral

Hi again: I have downloaded the two suggested items. After the Install in each I got a white page showing all the data that was in that file. However, I opened the terminal again and typed in the "scangearmp" and I get the reply "FILE NOT FOUND" What has this old man done now !! What button might I have used in error. There was one step that I encountered that did not appear in the instructions, and that was the "EXTRACT".. I had to extract the file to get to the install icon.

What and where may I have gone wrong.

Harvey,
in Kelowna, BC. (Canada)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

if you copy and paste the command that is below into a terminal
grep cnijfilter
........it is looking to see if the printer drivers were installed

and for the scanner
dpkg -l | grep scangear
.........it asking your system to list (hence the letter l ....) any versions of scangear that are installed
There was one step that I encountered that did not appear in the instructions, and that was the "EXTRACT".. I had to extract the file to get to the install icon.
.......... I am not sure what might have happened here;
HarrisCreekCentral

The first: grep cnijfilter : I just get a flashing White square curser. After I typed all of the following selection, it was still searching, so I closed the terminal and "killed" it..

the second I get this message:
Desired=unknown/install/remove/purge/hold
Status=not inst/conf-files/unpacked/half-conf-inst/trig-await/trig-pend
!/Err=(non) Reinst-required(status err:uppercase=bad
=========================================
iigrep 2:14-3 i386 GNU grep. egrepand fgrep
dpkg-query:No packages found matching scangear

Can I go back and try reloading everythin or do I have to houseclean before I can re-load.

What might I have done wrong when I extracted that program.....How do I get the "INSTAL"
I'll be watching for further instructions.
Harvey.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

when I extracted that program
.............I can't understand what you keep meaning by saying you extracted a program........

bottom line is ..... I don't think either package is installed................. so yes, let's run the commands again ...

If you copy and paste each of the commands I gave you into a terminal; and hit the enter key after each paste; and if you use the top line of the terminal; please just follow them exactly

so if you use the red commands; and work through them; and see how we get along;
HarrisCreekCentral

"EXTRACT"

As in a ZIP File, before you can do anything with it you have to "Un-ZIP or Extract it. That is what I thought I was doing here.. I will go back and go through the process again trying to watch for where I went astray.! Thanks for the help..

I'm doing this in between my wife's Honey Do projects, but I'll try and keep one eye on this end. Sorry, I'm blind in one eye so only have one eye to watch out with.. Ha Ha..
salvorfhardin

Post by salvorfhardin »

There's a mistake in one of the lines, it says

scangearmp-mx510series-1.90-1-deb

and it should read like

Great help, this printer was driving me crazy. (BTW, you can't scan with a WIFI connection, this is only for wired connection.) THANKS, pdc_2.
HarrisCreekCentral

O.K. I may have the first section ..........when i type grep cnijfilter and hit enter I get a red cnijfilter response. Is that what I am looking for.

However I am doing something wrong yet in the second phase for the scanner. I keep getting a reply "No such file"

I've had company all day, and it is now late in the evening. I will try getting the scanner tomorrow. Thanks guys for your help.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

my apologies Harvey;

thanks to salvorfhardin:

I made a mistake in the scanner commands; I have now corrected it:

re-run the commands in my instruction post: it should all install this time:

(the printer install should have created a printer driver for MX512: eg using Libreoffice to print, you should be offered an MX512 icon to select ..............
HarrisCreekCentral

I cannot seem to find the "tar -zxvf scangearmp-mx510series-1.90-1-deb.tar.gz" File.. I downloaded the driver, opened my download screen, and I have the "scangearmp-mx510series-1.90-1-deb.tar.gz" Icon, I see nothing with the "TAR -ZXVF" Prefix.

However, I just ran the scangearmp, and I get a message, :Cannot find available scanners ......Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off.....Check the scanner status then try again....

This would make me think I have a driver installed.

When I tried to print a test page, I only have a "GENERIC" Printer as my options.

Sorry to be requiring so much assistance. but I do THANK YOU.

Harvey.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

you are meant to paste the whole command Hervey:
tar -zxvf
is a command to unpack the compressed file that is called scangearmp-mx510series-1.90-1-deb.tar.gz

..............so if it is in your Downloads directory, if you copy the commands from here; and paste them into a terminal; and hit the ENTER key after you have pasted each command;

............you are sort of wanting to "wing" it...............if you stick to the straight and narrow, and just copy and paste, maybe we can get there .........................

1) open a terminal

2) copy the commands that are in red from here and paste them into the terminal, using the top line of the terminal; ie Menu and move to Edit and down to Paste, using the mouse
cd Downloads
tar -zxvf scangearmp-mx510series-1.90-1-deb.tar.gz
./install.sh
.........and now run the program with
scangearmp
........have we opened a scanning program ?
HarrisCreekCentral

YES, YES, we now have a printer that will complete the scan. BUT I don't have a connection to do the printing. I loaded the document that I scanned into the system, clicked on the printer icon.. Little screen comes up showing that it is printing, but nothing happens out at the printer. I have checked the printer is set as the default MX510usb. so I would think the data that I copied and pasted seems to be in the system.. NOTE: I did go back and re-install the print driver tonight after I caught on to what I was supposed to be doing entering the scanner data.. Sorry, my brain was trying to make things more complicated than necessary. When I clued in, it really went quite simple.
Now what is this "Launcher" Quote: and you need a launcher after that; let us know if the above all works, and we can guide you with a launcher install
Is this perhaps why I don't have printer contact.

This is what I have in the terminal:

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver
Version 3.70
Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2012
All Rights Reserved.

==================================================
Command executed = sudo dpkg -iG ./packages/cnijfilter-common_3.70-1_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 163490 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace cnijfilter-common 3.70-1 (using .../cnijfilter-common_3.70-
1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement cnijfilter-common ...
Setting up cnijfilter-common (3.70-1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
Command executed = sudo dpkg -iG ./packages/cnijfilter-mx510series_3.70-1_i386.d
eb
(Reading database ... 163490 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace cnijfilter-mx510series 3.70-1 (using .../cnijfilter-mx510se
ries_3.70-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement cnijfilter-mx510series ...
Setting up cnijfilter-mx510series (3.70-1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Can't create temporary cache file /etc/ld.so.cache~: Permis
sion denied

#=========================================================#
# Register Printer
Next, register the printer to the computer.
Connect the printer, and then turn on the power.
To use the printer on the network, connect the printer to the network.
When the printer is ready, press the Enter key.
>

# Connection Method
1) USB
2) Network
Select the connection method.[1]1

Searching for printers...

# Select Printer
Select the printer.
If the printer you want to use is not listed, select Update [0] to search again.
To cancel the process, enter [Q].
-----------------------------------------------------------
0) Update
Target printers detected
1) Canon MX510 series (/dev/usb/lp0)
Currently selected:[1] Canon MX510 series (/dev/usb/lp0)
Enter the value. [1]1

# Register Printer
Enter the printer name.[MX510USB-1]MX510USB
The printer name you entered already exists. Do you want to overwrite it?
Enter [y] for Yes or [n] for No.[y]y
Command executed = sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MX510USB -m canonmx510.ppd -v cniju
sb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E

# Set as Default Printer
Do you want to set this printer as the default printer?
Enter [y] for Yes or [n] for No.[y]y

Installation has been completed.
Printer Name : MX510USB
Select this printer name for printing.

Does this help ?? I'm hoping it is in the "LAUNCHER"
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

goodness me: so you have run the install script; with an already installed version of the MX512 on the system: and the system didn't seem happy to attempt to either over-write etc;

I would suggest: you consider deleting all the entries you have and start again; you seem to be getting quite fluent at it all now;

if you open synaptic, on our screen it is ......Menu----------Administration......Synaptic and enter sudo password when asked; type in cnijfilter in the window that says "quick filter" and look for the entries that say cnijfilter; they should be in green checked boxes; if you right-click on each entry in turn; and select Mark for Complete Removal; then go to the top menu line and click on the APPLY button, synaptic will carry out the actions;

now If you open a terminal; and paste in
system-config-printer
and delete any Canon entries there.......

...that should mean you have a clean slate and I would suggest you do what I suggested initially .........ie how to install the printer driver; and just copy and paste the commands I suggested way back in the first reply; and .................it really should just work...................................

you asked about "launcher": it was only for the scanning programme, ScanGearMP: you launch it when you first install it by typing
scangearmp
in a terminal;

a launcher is an icon you create that you put on the bottom toolbar; so when you click on it, you "launch" the programme; in this case, ScanGearMP

.........so if we work on getting the printer side of things to print, and then come back to the scanner afterwards
HarrisCreekCentral

If an old fart can get things wrong, I guess I qualify.. But again I can only say THANK YOU for your patience in walking me through this. I have now printed my scanned copy, and with one little hick-up everything printed fine.. The hick up being ...in the printer set up I chose the MX510USB, as my printer detail. It does not print on the USB name, But prints fine on the MX510-series.. I don't have any problem with this set up. :D
Now, where do we go from here..?
Thanks again, Harvey
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

that's great Harvey; ....so the scanner works....and the printer works.............enjoy.........if we pass through Harris Creek, we will drop in and ask for a beer!
HarrisCreekCentral

Re: Linux Driver for Canon MX512 "SOLVED" Thanks

Just a note to say I have loaded Linux Mint 16 on the second computer. I set up the Printer Driver from the above instructions without a hitch.. I am very very happy. THANKS..
HarrisCreekCentral

pdc_2 wrote:that's great Harvey; ....so the scanner works....and the printer works.............enjoy.........if we pass through Harris Creek, we will drop in and ask for a beer!
Don't look for me on the Harris Creek Road... I moved from the farm in 1956 when I joined the RCMP.. I have a basement full of Model Railroad. Needing a name for my Railroad, I decided on Harris Creek Central" So now my "Model Farm" on my layout is serviced by rail. Now you know where Harris Creek Central came into being.

Harvey,
in Kelowna, BC.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux Driver for Canon MX512 "SOLVED" Thanks

Post by pdc_2 »

that's great it all worked well the second time; enjoy Kelowna; best wishes

Return to “Printers & Scanners”