Brother HL-2270 landscape printing...suddenly gone!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jadek
Level 1
Level 1

Brother HL-2270 landscape printing...suddenly gone!

Post by jadek »

I'm running LM 16 as the solo bootup system on my laptop. For months my Brother HL-2270 laser has printed fine, does duplex even, but last week it suddenly is no longer printing landscape. The program used doesn't matter, the result is the same. Changing properties for the printer doesn't affect anything, either. Now the really strange part: using the same printer, but running Windows XP in VirtualBox, landscape prints just fine!

Any theories?

(I tried deleting the printer and adding it anew [there's only one choice for a driver], but the results were no different. Also, I always have a second printer hooked up, an HP Officejet 6000. No problem printing landscape with it in LM 16.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jadek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Brother HL-2270 landscape printing...suddenly gone!

Post by jadek »

Any theories, anyone?
martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by martywd »

jadek wrote:I'm running LM 16 as the solo bootup system on my laptop. For months my Brother HL-2270 laser has printed fine, does duplex even, but last week it suddenly is no longer printing landscape. The program used doesn't matter, the result is the same.
I don't have a solution for you but I recently tried using a HL-2270DW to do some landscape printing, too. I had the same issue as you describe in LM16 MATE 64-bit. But, for me as I recall, the issue only occurred when attempting to print in landscape from LibreOffice? I think landscape printing was still working for printing .pdf's? A real pain since I needed to print out spreadsheet reports in landscape from Calc.

I ended up printing to another printer.

For that matter I'm not using the HL-2270 at all now. For anyone looking for a printer I wouldn't recommend the HL-2270DW to anyone using Linux at this point.

But all this doesn't help you much. Have you tried contacting Brother's tech support?
jadek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jadek »

martywd wrote:
jadek wrote:I'm running LM 16 as the solo bootup system on my laptop. For months my Brother HL-2270 laser has printed fine, does duplex even, but last week it suddenly is no longer printing landscape. The program used doesn't matter, the result is the same.
I don't have a solution for you but I recently tried using a HL-2270DW to do some landscape printing, too. I had the same issue as you describe in LM16 MATE 64-bit. But, for me as I recall, the issue only occurred when attempting to print in landscape from LibreOffice? I think landscape printing was still working for printing .pdf's? A real pain since I needed to print out spreadsheet reports in landscape from Calc.

I ended up printing to another printer.

For that matter I'm not using the HL-2270 at all now. For anyone looking for a printer I wouldn't recommend the HL-2270DW to anyone using Linux at this point.

But all this doesn't help you much. Have you tried contacting Brother's tech support?
Thanks for the reply. I've had zero problems using the HL-2270 in the prior 5 months, whatever program, whether landscape or portrait. It's been a great printer. Granted, most of that time was using LM 14, Cinnamon, 64-bit. Perhaps it's a coincidence, but It's only surfaced after installing LM 16, Cinnamon, 64-bit. I could have sworn that the problem manifested itself outside LibreOffice, but reading your words I opened a landscape pdf in Document Viewer (i.e., Evince) & it printed just fine! In fact, I took a landscape .doc (created in LibreOffice), one that would not print correctly, saved it as a pdf within LO (using their method, not "printing" it to pdf), opened _that_ in Document Viewer & there that same file printed landscape! So no, I haven't contacted Brother because the printer will print landscape, just seemingly not in LO. I even went outside the repository version of LO and installed version 4.2.2, but the landscape .docs still print portrait.

This is a known problem, see here
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.do ... user/38569
and farther back, here
http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/ ... g-in-calc/
although they are talking about Calc, not Writer.

In the first above link, a fellow suggested forcing LO to create a new user file within .config, but doing so changed nothing for me.

Unless someone has other suggestions, the current work-around is making the LO landscape .doc file a pdf, and printing that (or printing the .doc file via Word Viewer in my Virtualbox XP) in Document Viewer.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”