⁽ SOLVED ) Brother HL-2140 wastes tons of paper

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nuagedeboucane

⁽ SOLVED ) Brother HL-2140 wastes tons of paper

Post by nuagedeboucane »

Hello. I have just tried to install LM16, Cinnamon, on my most recent computer. Everything works fine, (even the Nvidia card!!! ) , appart from my Brother HL-2140 printer. When I try to print a test page, it starts to exit tons of sheets, without anyrhing on it, and continuously. Do you think it's been "possessed" :twisted: :D

Code: Select all

~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: marc-OptiPlex-GX280 Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex GX280
           Mobo: Dell model: 0H7276 Bios: Dell version: A08 date: 03/03/2006
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 6384.46 clocked at 3192.233 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV98 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 driver: snd_emu10k1 port: cce0 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           Card-2: Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000 driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 045e:00f5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network:   Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3 ver: 3.132 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (18.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 74G used: 4.5G (7%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 310G used: 157M (1%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 4.22GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: No active sensors found. Have you configured your sensors yet? mobo: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 157 Uptime: 1:09 Memory: 698.4/3008.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 

Can you help me solve that problem, please, ' cause I' running out of paper :lol:
Thank you for your help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Brother HL-2140 wastes tons of paper

Post by slider »

Hi nuagedeboucane,

It sounds like the symptoms of a bad printer driver to me.

Check which driver that you are using and post it back here then I can try an help you look in to it further.

One way is to use: http://localhost:631/printers/ then click on your printer.

Regards,

S
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
TopEnder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TopEnder »

nuagedeboucane, Look for a solution to your problem on the Brothers Linux Web page, look for any solution to do with you priner, there is nothing listed for your printer/problem then email your closest Brother site giving them all the details:
Printer model,
OS version being used,
what printer drivers has been installed
and the details of the papaer problem.
regards, Smokey
nuagedeboucane

Post by nuagedeboucane »

Slider, here is the result:

Affichage de 1 sur 1 imprimante.
▼ Nom de la file ▼	               Description	                         Emplacement	                    Marque et Modèle	                                        État
Brother-HL-2140-series	Brother HL-2140 series	marc-OptiPlex-GX280               	Brother HL-2140 Foomatic/Postscript	           Inoccupée

Description:	Brother HL-2140 series
Emplacement:	marc-OptiPlex-GX280
Pilote:       	Brother HL-2140 Foomatic/Postscript (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Connexion:	usb://Brother/HL-2140%20series?serial=F8J658058
Défauts:	        job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided
The word "pilote" means "driver"
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Thanks for the output.

OK the "Foomatic/Postscript" driver is a known cause for this type of error - what I call paper spitting.

What you can do is try to find one of these other drivers (which should be on your system):

Try first: Foomatic/hl1250
Try next:Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e

If you have problems locating these drivers try the locate command in terminal as follows:

sudo updatedb
then

locate driver_name_here
If you get too much output for some reason just add a pipe as follows:

locate driver_name_here | less
then you can scroll through the output using your arrow keys. Use "q" to quit.

When you get a better driver your system should work just fine. I would try installing the driver listed as "first" with your initial attempt.

Please report back to let us know how things go.

Regards,

S
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
nuagedeboucane

Post by nuagedeboucane »

slider wrote:Thanks for the output.

OK the "Foomatic/Postscript" driver is a known cause for this type of error - what I call paper spitting.

What you can do is try to find one of these other drivers (which should be on your system):

Try first: Foomatic/hl1250
Try next:Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e

If you have problems locating these drivers try the locate command in terminal as follows:

sudo updatedb
then

locate driver_name_here
If you get too much output for some reason just add a pipe as follows:

locate driver_name_here | less
then you can scroll through the output using your arrow keys. Use "q" to quit.

When you get a better driver your system should work just fine. I would try installing the driver listed as "first" with your initial attempt.

Please report back to let us know how things go.

Regards,

S

I have tried the Foomatic/hl1250 driver, and it has worked on the very first attempt! Many thanks!!! :D

Return to “Printers & Scanners”