Printing from Win XP to Mint 16 fails after reboot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sikejsudjek

Printing from Win XP to Mint 16 fails after reboot

Post by sikejsudjek »

Have been tearing my hair out with this for a couple of days now.

I have 3 PC's configured for printing over 2 HP printers. Win xp, Win 7 and Linux Mint 16. The HP printers work ok from Mint, and one of them is attached to Mint via a parallel port. However printing from Windows xp to this printer is proving problematic.

I have managed to get Win 7 to see the printer attached to Mint, but the Windows xp printer initially couldn't see it or complained of 'windows cannot connect to the printer...'

After changing the sharing settings from the cups web interface on the Mint PC, it showed up on the windows xp machine under network printer and started printing ok. However when I rebooted Mint it went missing from both Windows machines. Again fiddling around with the cups web interface temporarily fixed things. All the pc's are set to the same workgroup, and none of the windows boxes have passwords set.

Does anyone have a check list of samba/cups things to check to fix this ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

network and samba printing issues

Post by pdc_2 »

sikejsudjek

Re: Printing from Win XP to Mint 16 fails after reboot

Post by sikejsudjek »

After editing the samba config file it worked.... until I rebooted the machines. Again the windows machines could not see or connect to the printer. Shame, unfortunately after 2 days I'm giving up and going back to xp. Would be nice if someone could fix this in the next release, this is a bog standard windows xp/7 home router set up, and it should really work.
sikejsudjek

Re: Printing from Win XP to Mint 16 fails after reboot

Post by sikejsudjek »

After editing the samba config file it worked.... until I rebooted the machines. Again the windows machines could not see or connect to the printer. Shame, unfortunately after 2 days I'm giving up and going back to xp. Would be nice if someone could fix this in the next release, this is a bog standard windows xp/7 home router set up, and it should really work.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”