HP-P1102 double sided problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bblodfon

HP-P1102 double sided problem

Post by bblodfon »

Hi everyone!!!

I have Linux Mint 13 Maya and i recently bought this printer -> hp-laserjet-pro-p1102-monochrome-laser-printer.
Its is not wireless, it works with USB just fine (only seconds after i connected it to my PC, i could print anything!).
Well, the problem is that it does not support somehow 2-sided printing (see the screenshot!). Everything else is just fine!
How can i make it understand and do double-sided printing in Mint, just as my other PC which has win7 and can
normally do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: HP-P1102 double sided problem

Post by austin.texas »

Install the GUI HP Printer Manager - hplip -
sudo apt-get install hplip
Last edited by austin.texas on Thu May 01, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

another option to consider if hplip doesn't give all you need is to type
system-config-printer
in a terminal; (or copy and paste the command)

if you get: command not found; install it with
sudo apt-get install system-config-printer
if you now run the command; it opens a printer box; if you right-click on your printer, and then click on the Properties tab; you should be able to select DUPLEX; (as per the thumbnail I enclose)
martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by martywd »

Go to Print Settings (I don't know about Cinnamon, in MATE that would be 'Menu | Control Center | Printing') and click. Right click on your printer icon, click on 'Properties'. Hopefully one of your printer options will be: 'Installable Options' ? If so, enable by ticking the box next to: 'Duplex ...'

I would leave the other setting in 'Printer Options', specifically: 'Duplex Printing' set to 'Off (One Sided)' else ALL your print jobs will be printed in DUPLEX.
bblodfon

Post by bblodfon »

Hi!
I installed hplip last version but didn't work. Also there is no Duplex or anything under printer options and
installable options is not there! I also installed gnome duplex manual but didn't manage to print correctly (just one side).
Also i installed hplib toolbox but there wasn't any duplex option either! Ialso did something with the lpoptions command
(adding with the -o the duplex something) but when it listed (lpoptions -l) there wasn't any record of that change!
(i am root user).

So, i just printed the odd pages, changed the orientation of the papers correctly (it needed some trial-and-error) and
put them back to the printer. Lastly, i printed the even pages and got a purely manual double-sided printing!

Any suggestions to try other things are welcome and thanks for the answers!
martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by martywd »

bblodfon wrote:Hi!
Also there is no Duplex or anything under printer options and installable options is not there!
Well that sucks.
Also i installed hplib toolbox but there wasn't any duplex option either!
I suspect that 'hplip' will be of little use to you?

See here: https://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP ... _Pro_P1102

And note the driver link in the above link: http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

Especially the WARNING outlined in red at the driver link:
*** DON'T USE the foo2zjs package from:
Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandrake/Manrivia, Debian, RedHat, Fedora, Gentoo, Xandros, EEE PC, Linpus, MacOSX, or BSD!
*** Download it here and follow the directions below.
Any suggestions to try other things are welcome and thanks for the answers!
I got nothing more, unfortunately. Queue the inevitable comments recommending 'research' before buying a printer for linux.

FWIW, even with the fact that I own a printer that 'works perfectly' in linux, I still have to keep a Windows machine on my net because 'perfect' linux printing is still a pipe dream.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”