Epson WF-5690 print's faulty sometimes (omits line spaces)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nalw

Epson WF-5690 print's faulty sometimes (omits line spaces)

Post by nalw »

For an Epson WF-5690 printer I use the official Epson ESC/P-R Driver (Version 1.4.0) from download.ebz.epson.net with Mint 13 (Maya) and Mint 16 (Petra). Sometimes documents are not printed correctly. The same document is either always printed correctly or always with the same bug. So it's just some documents who are affected, but the bug is reproduceable.

I assume a problem with the driver, but don't know how to solve the issue.

I attach two files as an example. The problem is always with line space not printed correcly. We've had also once a problem with character sets, but I don't have the according file.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: Epson WF-5690 print's faulty sometimes (omits line space

Post by ktheking »

1. Do verify with different doc editors if the problem doesn't come from the software itself ,and not from the driver. Print a testpage from the printerconfig tool and check if you have the problem too.
2. Try to use another more basic driver ,to see if you have the same result
3. Try to use a postscript driver as an alternative
nalw

Post by nalw »

Thanks for your suggestions.

1) We have the problem with documents from two different LibrOffice versions and also with at least one pdf from another organisation, where I assume they don't use LibrOffice or OpenOffice. Also, we don't have the problem with another printer (Brother), thus I don't think the problem comes from the document editor.

2) I tried also "IPP network printer via DNS-SD", with the same result. I don't know where to find another driver and/ or how to apply them. Does anybody know where to get an alternative driver (other than from download.ebz.epson.net)?

3) Same as 2), don't know where to get a post script driver.
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Weird. When I go trough the website http://download.ebz.epson.net/ I do see they list a postscript driver for your printer.

WF-5690 Series
Printer Driver Linux
1.0.0 PPD File for Postscript English
04-23-2014

The trick is to use a Gutenprint printer ,and feed the ppd file with it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutenprint
nalw

Post by nalw »

I got the ppd driver, but still I don't know how to install a Gutenprint/ CUPS driver. I checked that several packages related to Gutenprint and CUPS are installed. Maybe it only works for printers, who are directly connected to the computer? We have a network printer. In the printer dialog, when I click "Add printer", under "network printer" the printer is automatically detected and I can choose between
* AppSocket/ JetDirect network printer via DNS-SD
* LPD network printer via DNS-SD
* IPP network printer via DNS-SD
* LPD/LPR queue 'PASSTHRU'
I don't know which one to choose or maybe I have to do something else, with terminal?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

ESC/P-R is the generic driver ...............

Post by pdc_2 »

so nalw: this looks a very nice device you have access to; a cut above what the average home user might provide for themselves;

you were using the generic driver from Epson; so that might not give you perfect all the time; looking at the screenshot, Epson likely expect you to use the ppd file that you can download; it is 37KB so that should be quick

my understanding was such devices needed to be connected to the router; (wirelessly); tell us a little about your network: we are a little in the dark: you are the adminstrator; it is a home network.......... ????

You connected the device to the router??

If the device was linked to the router, I would have expected CUPS would "discover" it

eg in the attached screenshot; the Epson is already known to the router; so I would just click on the ppd file in the bottom left corner and point CUPS to ppd file that I wanted to use: by default, they seem to be by default on most systems in the ppd directory; that is in /usr/share so one could either leave it in the Downloads directory (and point CUPS to it!!); if that is where it lands when downloaded; or copy from there with the command cp whatever.ppd /usr/share/ppd ..and again crucially point CUPS to it

Return to “Printers & Scanners”