<solved> Automatic Paper Source Switching not working MG5250

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mayerflash

<solved> Automatic Paper Source Switching not working MG5250

Post by mayerflash »

Hello,

I've configured a Canon MG5250. Testpage printing is working fine, but it always tries to print on paper from the rear tray.
In the printer options as paper source "Automatic Paper Source Switching" is selected. On the printer itself the paper cassette is configured to be used first. On Windows everything is working like expected.
When I configure "cassette" as paper source then the cassette is used as paper source.

How to get the "automatic paper source switching" running properly?

I'm using Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit. Printer is connected via WiFi network.
The following Drivers are used: "Canon PIXMA MG5250 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10-pre2" (included in Mint17)

Regards

mayerflash
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Automatic Paper Source Switching is not working on MG525

Post by pdc_2 »

sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing; seems like a very nice printer you have got; great to have it working at its best

sp you are using the open-source driver, Gutenprint; that has been developed to work with many, many printers. All credit to the volunteers who work to both maintain and advance this open-source software; they are volunteers and I understand don't have access to all the machines they aspire to offer cover for.

You could install the linux drivers that Canon supply; and see if they have the options you want; if you would like pointers on that, pleased to help; interesting to see if we can get things sorted for you
mayerflash

Post by mayerflash »

Hello,

any other hints, e.g. how to debug the printer settings?

I'm an experienced administrator. I'm not afraid of debugging the printer driver. :twisted:
Any hints for a good starting point?

Regards

mayerflash
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon debian package for 5200 series printers

Post by pdc_2 »

I'm an experienced administrator. I'm not afraid of debugging the printer driver.
.........well then you would know a lot more about getting under the bonnet than most; and a lot more than me;

I just wonder if you install the driver Canon supplies; and see how it goes;

you get the debian package here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 01702.html for the 5200 series printers; and it comes down as cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz

I usually suggest one selects SAVE as it is downloaded and then open a terminal and the commands to install would be

cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1-deb
./install.sh

the last command will prompt the install script to ask for your sudo password

inside the package Canon supply cngpij and to run it, the command would likely be
cngpij -P MG5250USB
and it allows one to change settings; if helpful, one would set up a launcher (are you using Cinnamon?)
mayerflash

Post by mayerflash »

Hello,

ok, I installed the old (v3.40-1) original drivers from the canon webpage, then everything worked fine. :D
It seems that there is somewhere a problem in the newer v3.90-76~ubuntu14.04.1 drivers which are provided by ubuntu/mint/gutenprint project.

Actually I thought, newer drivers are better, but, well...

Is it so complicated to preserve the old working v3.40 configuration/definition in the newer v3.90 version? What's the Problem?

Regards

mayerflash
mayerflash

Post by mayerflash »

Hello,

now I managed it to get my printer running on the v3.90 drivers (on both architectures (32bit and 64bit))
(64bit was a little bit more tricky)

Here are the installation instructions:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:michael-gruz/canon-trunk

sudo apt-get update

wget http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/t/tiff3/libtiff4_3.9.7-2ubuntu1_i386.deb                 # for 32-Bit
wget http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/t/tiff3/libtiff4_3.9.7-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb                 # for 64-Bit

sudo dpkg -i libtiff4_3.9.7-2ubuntu1_*.deb

sudo apt-get install -f

sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-XXX 
# XXX has to be replaced with the right printer model, e.g. "mg5200series-64" for a MG5250 at 64-Bit Linux
Short check of all installed packages:

sudo dpkg -l libtiff4

sudo dpkg -l cnijfilter*
Turn your printer on and then execute this:

cnijnetprn --search auto

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p XXX -m YYY -v cnijnet:/ZZZ -E
# replace XXX with printername, e.g. MG5250LAN
# replace YYY with ppd-name, e.g. canonmg5200.ppd (filename can be found at /usr/share/ppd/)
# replace ZZZ with MAC-Adress returned by the cnijnetprn command before, e.g. 88-87-12-34-56-78
Scanner driver is currently still on v1.6. Perhaps later i will figure it out how to get the latest version running.

Regards

mayerflash
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks; great to have your contributions

Return to “Printers & Scanners”