(SOLVED)Mint 17 and Brother HL 2270DW CUPs Server Error

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobww99
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED)Mint 17 and Brother HL 2270DW CUPs Server Error

Post by bobww99 »

Topic: (SOLVED) Mint 17 and Brother HL 2270DW CUPs Server Error

Background:
Mint 17,Cinnamon edition,32Bit

I'am trying to make the Linux Qiana print from a shared home network lan connected interface through I believe to be DHCP. I have downloaded the deb and the RPL (both deb Linux packages many times and different ways) from Brother and extracted them from downloads to what I believe is the proper directory(s) and probably some improper directories.

I have one other computer with dual boot Linux or Windows XP.This computer is installed within the wired lan shared home network. The HP computer I'am using now, has wired and wireless access to the INTERNET. The (dual Linus)-Windows XP uses the old Brother HL2070N driver(s)could successfully print on the Brother HL2270DW printer through my network. Now it cannot.I want to use my main Qiana HP Pavilion to print using the Brother HL2270DW printer and its features(duplex/2 sided printing) on the home wired network and eventually get the dual boot computer with at least the Linux side going with the proper HL2270DW driver at a later date. So, all we are dealing with here is the HP Pavilion home wired network hooked up to printer utilizing the HL2270DW driver(s) and printer.
Last night, I ran across this old site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXUR672bozQ
Which worked and printed what I wanted to do last night.
This morning, I rebooted and went to print and was told no connection. This is where I am now.

Additional information which may or may not be important:
Both Mint 17 and Peppermint 3 computers have Automatic (DHCP) from below.

ref: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... 04-lts-gui
"Right click on the Network Manager icon on Ubuntu top panel and select edit. Go to Wired Network or Wireless Network tab and select the network name. Click on the edit button and go to IPv4 settings tab on the new window. If the method is Automatic (DHCP) you are using dhcp."
From above,Both computer show shared in printer GUI. Heres where I am lost. The stack exchange post goes into VM ware which is not applicable. My Pavillion directory /var/lib/dhcp has no eth1.lease.
Just dhcclient.leases with 0 bytes text.

Running:
Code Select:
bob@bob-HP-Pavilion-dv1000-EH439UA-ABA ~ $ /sbin/ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:c0:9f:f5:74:1b
inet addr:192.168.0.3 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::2c0:9fff:fef6:741b/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:35063 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:28747 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:34359349 (34.3 MB) TX bytes:3767051 (3.7 MB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:54935 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:54935 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:40725419 (40.7 MB) TX bytes:40725419 (40.7 MB)
(digits disguised)
Note: no eth1 ?

I have tried to make this post as clear as possible,hence the length of post. Any omissions, or too long, my apologies.
Would appreciate any knowledgeable help. Hope this helps others too.
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: Mint 17 and Brother HL 2270DW CUPs Server Error

Post by ktheking »

The solution is way simpler then this.
You need to use the installer from brother.
check this post how : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=172652
bobww99
Level 1
Level 1

Re:(SOLVED) Mint 17 and Brother HL 2270DW CUPs Server Error

Post by bobww99 »

7-23-17
Thanks ktheking,
Your suggestion might help others. I did not use the installer because some other post(s) recommended/implied against it. Anyhow I stuck with the original BonjourPrinter tutorial Ref directly below.
I just figured out what I did wrong in the BonjourPrinter tutorial..
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=103900 --BonjourPrinter tutorial

I rightly placed a "No" referring to theBonjourPrinter tutorial "Did this solve your problem?" I am a hybrid Newbie.
This morning I began the tutorial again. I remembered some gotcha's that are not mentioned in the tutorial but probably well known to any Intermediate./adv. users.
Thinking about the post,I caught the gotcha's (omissions for Newbies which I should of added to commands) that I failed to note when attempting to follow the tutorial for the first time.
By following the BonjourPrinter tutorial again and adding crucial *omissions from the BonjourPrinter tutorial, I am printing.
Since my printer is working (I double checked by completely shutdown my session and restarting from a cold boot) and retrying to print--success. The fix is working/printing and hopefully the Qiana will permanently except it.

Heres what I will do:
I would like the double sided/duplex working but not available at this fix. Must be a Brother or Cups problem? This will require a new #1 post/thread if I can not fix it myself.
I will email BonjourPrinter and suggest additions for Newbies. The best way to fix the tutorial is for the author,BonjourPrinter, to fix it. I will email BonjourPrinter with this post.

Here what I found in oder to fix/add too the BonjourPrinter tutorial.
As posted:
"(32-bit only) Install the regular drivers (note the lack of "a" after the version numbers):
# sudo dpkg -i --force-all hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb
# sudo dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.deb"
The fix: Should read:?

(32-bit only) Install the regular drivers by placing them is the xxxx directory. Then cd to that directory and complete the following commands (note the lack of "a" after the version numbers):
# sudo dpkg -i --force-all hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb
# sudo dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.deb

Since I unpacked the files from my Downloads directory,I assume:
1.) They went in to another intended directory with various names etc.
2.) I can safely delete the hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb and cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.deb from the download files at a latter date.This will be done because they have been used and will become dated if new ones become available.
Please post a reply if these assumptions are incorrect.
Thanks,
Bob

PS Please see my add on in replies for other Newbie gotchas in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=103900 --BonjourPrinter tutorial page 2 at this time.

7-24-14 Update
See: Changing Cups default to allow automatic duplex printing
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=174057 Void deleted.

7-28-14 lAST ENTRY: Changed and closed out post with (SOLVED).
Ref:
New post coming concerning "Automatic Duplex Printer" function not working.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”