Change Print Quality

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
woody22075

Change Print Quality

Post by woody22075 »

I just upgraded from Mint 13 to Mint 17. In Mint 13, I could select print quality (a setting between 1 and 4) in the system dialogue. However, I am not able to find such an option in the system dialogue in Mint 17. I prefer to lower the print quality to save ink on drafts, etc. Any idea on how I can manipulate the print quality?

Thank you for your help!

M
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Change Print Quality

Post by austin.texas »

What printer do you have?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
woody22075

Post by woody22075 »

The same Canon PIXMA MG4250. I have a lot of options with respect to printing (from the system dialogue) but no longer have the option for varying print quality.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You can reduce your ink consumption by using the EcoFont, too. They have a bunch of fonts they want to sell you, but they have one font you can download for free.

http://www.ecofont.com/en/products/gree ... -font.html
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
woody22075

Post by woody22075 »

Thanks for the tip! I would like to restore the ability to reduce print quality in general as well as I (sadly) have a lot of (draft) images that require printing as well.

m.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

system-config-printer

Post by pdc_2 »

if you are using cinnamon (as we are) we found the command
system-config-printer
from a terminal or Alt-F2 ............gives the dialogue box that perhaps allows more tweaks of settings
woody22075

Post by woody22075 »

Thanks. I have tried that as well. I have two options for print quality 'standard' or 'manual'. but manual has no settings to manually change (and seems to print at the same v. high quality as 'standard').

m.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon MG4200 series printer: set draft printing

Post by pdc_2 »

Canon make a utility that is part of their linux drivers: I enclose a snapshot that shows the screen for our MG3100 series

if you click on this link http://localhost:631/printers/ and look in the right-hand column: under Make & Model: does it say gutenprint for your MG4200 series device?

If it is, I can give you instructions for installing the Canon drivers; and you can evaluate those alongside a gutenprint (if that is what you have): and you get the Canon utility
woody22075

Post by woody22075 »

Dear pdc_2,

I do have Gutenprint in the cups make and model description. Can you give me direction with respect to the Canon driver?

Thanks!

m.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon MG4200 series printer: Canon debian drivers for Mint

Post by pdc_2 »

If you go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... tml?r=s&q= and click to download and SAVE you will be getting cnijfilter-mg4200series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz

this is the 3.8 series driver; and till 4.0 they need libtiff4 (which ubuntu has withdrawn) so before installing the printer driver, you need libtiff4

.....it may well be in the Mint repositories ( I would use synaptic to find it); if not there, you can get it from Debian: ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tiff3/ if you use this link, go about 14 down the list to find the 32 or 64bit you need

then to install the printer driver, if you open a terminal and paste in these commands; line by line; (hitting ENTER after each paste!!)

cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mg4200series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-mg4200series-3.80-1-deb
./install.sh

that should run the install script; it will ask you for your sudo password

to run the Canon utility the command is
cngpij -P MG4200USB
and if all is good, one sets up a launcher: with Cinnamon the launcher is on the desktop and you can also set it to the tool bar and menu
woody22075

Post by woody22075 »

Thanks for the details. Install script runs fine but when I try to run 'cngpij -P [printer_name]' I receive:

ERROR: The specified printer is not supported.

very odd. Any ideas?

At any rate, thanks again for the help!

m.
woody22075

Post by woody22075 »

oh, how odd--I do now have print quality settings although there seem to be some anomalous error msg's (as previously mentioned). Thanks so much for that! You have saved me much future ink!

m.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Canon provide a guide http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... tml?r=s&q=

have a read through it; I download it into our Downloads folder: I open with archive manager; then from within that EXTRACT to a folder .......... and then click on the SHOW FILES icon that appears; the crucial step is right-click on the guide_index.htm icon and select "Open with Firefox" and then the guide is revealed in Firefox in all its glory; and then you can bookmark it ...................

the structure of the command is
cngpijmnt [printer_name]
so if the printer is called MG4200 the command is
cngpijmnt MG4200
.....have a look here http://localhost:631/printers/ and see what name it has ........ours for some reason had the USB added!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”