Canon MG5350 and Mint 17 - Automatic paper source switching

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TerryR50

Canon MG5350 and Mint 17 - Automatic paper source switching

Post by TerryR50 »

I've been using Mint 16 for a little while (my first foray into Linux) and have only just got round to upgrading to Mint 17. My Canon MG5350 worked fine with 16, and installation in 17 went fine.

Except that the usual setting for Media Source, "Automatic paper source switching" no longer seems to work properly. This setting should result in the cassette being used for normal printing, with the rear tray being selected automatically for photographic prints. This has always worked perfectly, in Windows as well as Mint 16. Now, this setting always tries to send the printing to the rear tray, resulting in error messages or printing on the wrong media. Obviously, I can get round this by setting the tray manually, but it's just one more thing to remember and, it did work fine previously.

So, not an urgent problem, but it would be good to have a solution.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon MG5350 and Mint 17 - Automatic paper source switch

Post by pdc_2 »

I wondered which driver you are using: there would likely be two options: 1) gutenprint, the open source programme that covers many, many printers; or 2) the linux drivers Canon supply

if you look here http://localhost:631/printers/ and look in the right-hand column under Make & Model: if Canon, it will say something like Canon MG5300 series Ver.3.60

some programmes have settings within them it seems for tray settings

eg if you paste
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/spadmin
into a terminal, it allows you to see tray options for Libre Office;
TerryR50

Post by TerryR50 »

Thanks. Tried what you suggested and, although I have installed the Canon drivers, the Make and Model is showing as "Canon MG5300 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10-pre2". Does this suggest some sort of conflict?

The LibreOffice setting just reflect what is set in the driver (as in the Linux Mint settings) - unless I change them in LibreOffice. Either way, "Automatic paper source switcing" still results in an attempt to get paper from the rear tray.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

although I have installed the Canon drivers, the Make and Model is showing as "Canon MG5300 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10-pre2".
so CUPS only seems to know of the Gutenprint open-source driver being installed;

what does
dpkg -l | grep cnijfilter
give if you copy it; and then paste it into a terminal ..............that command is looking for Canon supplied drivers ...............

_________

if I were advising how to install the Canon drivers, I would go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 95402.html and click to download and SAVE what would be cnijfilter-mg5300series-3.60-1-deb.tar.gz

it may need libtiff4 installed: get it from here ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tiff3/ going about 14 or 18 down the list

then in a terminal one would paste the commands

cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mg5300series-3.60-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-mg5300series-3.60-1-deb
./install.sh
TerryR50

Post by TerryR50 »

Thanks again! The first command line you suggested results in:
ii cnijfilter-common 3.60-1 i386 IJ Printer Driver for Linux.
ii cnijfilter-mg5300series 3.60-1 i386 IJ Printer Driver for Linux.

That looks like the installation from the Canon website...
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so you seem to have the drivers installed; bit it seems you do not have an entry in CUPS that recognises those Canon drivers?

is your MG5300 the only printer; and connected by usb?

............if you want to create a Canon entry in CUPS; as you do not seem to have it; you could re-run the install script;

ie open a terminal and use the commands

Code: Select all

cd Downloads/cnijfilter-mg5300series-3.60-1-deb
./install.sh

an alternative is to run the command
sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MG5300USB -m canonmg53100.ppd -v cnijusb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E
...........which assumes you have a usb connection; and only one printer; that is seen as /dev/usb/lp0
TerryR50

Post by TerryR50 »

Yes, the MG5350 is the only printer connection, but it's wifi rather than usb (as another computer uses it). Does this make a difference to the reinstall. I've just done it previously by double-clicking via the gui - then the driver finds the printer through the router.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

wifi should be fine for the install script...........sounds like already seen by the router .........
TerryR50

Post by TerryR50 »

That seems to have worked! I now have the Canon driver installed, and it shows up on http://localhost:631/printers/.

So I now have the option of using either the Canon or the Gutenprint driver, which effectively show up as two different printers. The Canon gives me the Automatic paper source switching, but seems to provide nowhere near the options for setting up the printer. I guess this is just a limitation of the Canon driver. The problem with the source switching is, presumably, a bug in the Gutenprint driver??

Very grateful for all the help.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Canon provide a utility to adjust settings in the printer;

it is called cngpij and you can run it initially from a terminal with
cngpij -P MG5300
.............it allows the user to change settings; and you can then set up a launcher ..........to launch it ..........

I attach a screenshot: of the cngpij guide that uses Firefox; for our MG3100 series device; for yourself look for guide_index.htm and open it with Firefox;
I guess this is just a limitation of the Canon driver.
........well actually there is lots of stuff Canon supply but it requires reading the detailed howto instructions that they provide; you may well have the patience to do this; I suspect few do; and you may well be rewarded by thorough reading;

for the guide to the MG5300 series printer , go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 79501.html and for the ScanGearMP programme, that Canon supply to run the scanner, go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 79601.html

They come as compressed files; so you can extract them to a folder in your system: wherever you like; and then look for the guide_index.htm and open that with Firefox and there is much guidance from Canon as how to endlessly tweak all things

Return to “Printers & Scanners”