[SOLVED] Not sure what driver to use for MFC-J450DW printer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Not sure what driver to use for MFC-J450DW printer

Post by ES44AC8102 »

Going on to the Brother.com usa page I see there are 3 drivers listed for my new printer/scanner: http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _us&os=128

The first one seems awfully small but says it installs the "LPR, CUPSwrapper driver and scanner driver" it's only 0.02MB
2nd one listed is "LPR printer driver (deb package)" this one is 2.MB
3rd is "CUPSwrapper printer driver (deb package)" only 0.01 MB

So do I get the 2nd one or get all 3? I hate to clutter the OS up with duplicate files that aren't needed.

Plus, once I get the right file d/l'd I'm not exactly sure how to run it from the command line. I did see a similar posting and a reply by pdc_2 @ http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=182122

Code: Select all

cd Downloads
gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz
sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 MFC-450DW
Am I correct in assuming his instructions apply to me as well for getting the installer(s) to run? All except for subsituting the correct printer name that is?

Thanks to all who reply!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Not sure what driver to use for MFC-J450DW printer

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi there ES

so the awfully small file is likely to be the Brother installer tool; so when you run it, it goes off and gets the larger driver files you need, and installs them

your commands look good but in the last line you have
...............if you say your machine is the MFC-J450DW, then maybe you quote that exactly, so the final line would then be

sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 MFC-J450DW

will your printer be wireless? The printer driver seems to work well; the scanner seems to work well via usb but wireless requires tweaking of various files..........I am yet to see a clear solution and guide .................
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ES44AC8102 »

pdc_2 wrote:Hi there ES

so the awfully small file is likely to be the Brother installer tool; so when you run it, it goes off and gets the larger driver files you need, and installs them

your commands look good but in the last line you have
...............if you say your machine is the MFC-J450DW, then maybe you quote that exactly, so the final line would then be

sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 MFC-J450DW

will your printer be wireless? The printer driver seems to work well; the scanner seems to work well via usb but wireless requires tweaking of various files..........I am yet to see a clear solution and guide .................

Hi pdc_2,

I noticed that Brother has added a relatively new scanner driver 11/06/2014 (0.4.2-4) 0.07MB Scanner driver 64bit (deb package) that might be of interest to you...

To answer your last question, "Yes" I was hoping to put the drivers on my host machine and my wife's machine that has a wireless connection to the router. That machine runs Lubuntu in lieu of XPired. So the path to make it work is loaded with trouble? I have the new printer paired up with the router and was hoping against hope that all I needed was the right drivers and the silly thing would work! <sigh>

You're correct about my omission of the letter "J" in the line to load the drivers I'll surely have to correct that one. As I mentioned, I got all my info from your post that helped someone else with a similar problem

So at the end of the day, use the smallest one and hopefully it will load the others? I'll try the commands you suggest and see what happens with my wired machine and then move to the wife's machine and try the wireless. I'll be back here if it doesn't pan out, I don't have a lot of confidence that it will. If I can just get it to print that's all that's needed.

Thanks very much! :D

PS: I followed your instructions to the letter....no pun intended.... added the "J" to the command line and 'lo and behold the driver did just as you said it would. It went and got all the other files and installed them! It printed out a nice test page with all the colors on it, I'm thrilled that it worked on the host machine, even though it's not a priority, it's great to have it available so I don't have to constanty reboot and go back to 7 to print the few things I need printed. This is GREAT!
After I eat breakfast I'll try the same thing on the wife's Lubuntu machine and see how I get on with that. I'll keep you posted, thanks again I am thrilled with a good result. I assume that the many files that are now showing in the Downloads folder can be removed after the installataion?

Cheers
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

recently installed a Brother HL-1110,
and had to get & install the 2nd / 3rd *.deb files,
and then it worked just fine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ES44AC8102 »

Pierre wrote:recently installed a Brother HL-1110,
and had to get & install the 2nd / 3rd *.deb files,
and then it worked just fine.
I was fortunate that d/l the one file did everything for me. Now i have to move to the other machine that is using WiFi to connect to the router. When the installer decompresses it asks me if I can enter the URL for the printer, on the host machine it's a USB connection and I said "No". Now on the other machine I don't know how to find the URL of the printer so I can't proceed, I am afraid to even install the drivers since I can't enter the URL, and don't know if I can go back later and add it.

How do I find the URL of the wireless printer, the router is recognized already by the printer, but again I can't find the url or the IP addy for it.

Regards
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

can I suggest you paste this command

system-config-printer
into a terminal; ..........click on the ADD button and your system should look for a network printer if you ask it; it should find the Brother; does it list a url?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Netwo ... WithUbuntu

this link has some useful stuff; particularly sharing printers .............

__________________-

does the command

/usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
list your Brother printer?
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ES44AC8102 »

pdc_2 wrote:can I suggest you paste this command

system-config-printer
into a terminal; ..........click on the ADD button and your system should look for a network printer if you ask it; it should find the Brother; does it list a url?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Netwo ... WithUbuntu

this link has some useful stuff; particularly sharing printers .............

__________________-

does the command

/usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
list your Brother printer?
Both commands worked here's what I got in the terminal with the 2nd command:

fred@fred-Dimension-3000:~$ /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
network lpd
network http
network ipp14
network ipp
network ipps
network socket
network https
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS5?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS6?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS7?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS8?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS9?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS16?baud=115200
network lpd://BRWB01041258647/BINARY_P1
I thought that the last line "network lpd" etc was the URI number so I wrote it down and went on to install the drivers. When I got to where it asks me for the URI I chose "yes" and it continued on to where I had to chose from a list of 16 numbers all representing different connections: serial, parallel, USB etc. The printer is connected to the host via USB so I chose that... then it asked for the IP of the printer I entered 10.0.0.1 and it accepted it and continued on to the end.

It said "wait 5 secs" to print a test page.... but of course no test page was printed. Instead I got a message saying "waiting for printer to become available." The printer will go on standby after a time so I had to wake it up and tried to print again. Same message unfortunately. I don' t mind having to hit the keys on the printer to get it off standby, there may be a way to adjust the time it stays online before the LCD goes off on standby.

(Really though, the 10.0.0.1 is the IP of the router that the printer is wirelessly connected to, so maybe that's the wrong choice? I had a time getting the printer to communicate with the router at first, now it indicates that it's OK but maybe not.)

If I go back in to Lubuntu and use your first command:

system-config-printer
It displays the icon of the Brother printer in a window on screen. That to me is encouraging, at least it seems to think the printer is connected. I jumped the gun and installed the drivers before I heard form you, hope I didn't mess it up. While that window is open if I choose " Connect to localhost" or "CUPS" /var/run/cups/cups.sock I get this message for either choice:

fred@fred-Dimension-3000:~$ system-config-printer
/usr/share/system-config-printer/monitor.py:757: Warning: Source ID 564 was not found when attempting to remove it
  GLib.source_remove (self.update_timer)
I don't know what that indicates :(

Doing some research on the Brother page http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... t=on#dpkg1

I came up with this command:

fred@fred-Dimension-3000:~$ dpkg -l | grep Brother
When run it yielded this:
ii brscan-skey 0.2.4-1 i386 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii brscan4 0.4.2-1 i386 Brother Scanner Driver
ii mfcj450dwcupswrapper .0.0-1 i386 Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii mfcj450dwlpr 3.0.0-1 i386 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
fred@fred-Dimension-3000:~$
From that I gather that all the printer drivers are installed correctly....I can't tell if the other stuff on the page is relevant to Mint or all Linux systems. Needless to say I did nothing with the rest of them.

Upon close examination I think the system is asking for a URi not a URL, sorry for all the typos using the wrong acronym!

Really appreciate your help, this sort of thing isn't easy when you can't have hands on to see what its doing.

Cheers
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

Success!!

Post by ES44AC8102 »

Success!

Hi pdc_2,

I re-installed the driver package and used the URI I got from my Comcast router, which showed the IP that the printer was assigned to. I input that new IP and it worked! I even shut off the Lubuntu machine to see if it would continue to work after a reboot. Years of dealing with flaky MS wireless networks made me gun-shy! LOL

Anyway it continues to work and that's all I wanted to do, IE: print from the 2nd machine as well as the server/host.

Thanks to you it's working, keep all your parts crossed that it continues.

Regards and many thanks!

"ES" :D
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

well done; you have persevered; and carefully worked away at things; well done; enjoy!

after all your hard work, maybe have a read at the forum over time; you may well be able to help others now;

some folks assign a static IP address to their printer/scanner; particularly to get the scanner working wireless; one seems to need the static IP;

how to do that? ..........maybe you already know but I understand one needs to look in the router settings; choose an IP outside those automatically allocated by DHCP; then one goes into the printer settings page; and they allow one to allocate a static IP; one deletes the existing printer entry in CUPS; and adds a new printer............... the drivers are already installed so one chooses the one that CUPS spots ...............
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ES44AC8102 »

pdc_2 wrote:well done; you have persevered; and carefully worked away at things; well done; enjoy!

after all your hard work, maybe have a read at the forum over time; you may well be able to help others now;

some folks assign a static IP address to their printer/scanner; particularly to get the scanner working wireless; one seems to need the static IP;

how to do that? ..........maybe you already know but I understand one needs to look in the router settings; choose an IP outside those automatically allocated by DHCP; then one goes into the printer settings page; and they allow one to allocate a static IP; one deletes the existing printer entry in CUPS; and adds a new printer............... the drivers are already installed so one chooses the one that CUPS spots ...............

Thanks for the kind words, it was gratifying to get it sorted out finally, I will say that. That sort of thing bugs me no endand now i can rest easy it works fine. I'd be glad to help others with ideas maybe, but actual command line instructions will have to wait. Already had a bit of trouble making a TRIM file for my friends machine, he inadverntantly pasted the line to make the file executable, into the script itself! Grrr I think we can edit the bad part out and go on from there, or make a new file and ignore the other one. It can't run even if cron was to make a call to it, it is in effect corrupt and useless.

Oh one last thing, all those printer files that are in my downloads folder, I assume it's safe to delete them all now that the wireless is up and running?

Cheers and see you in the forum!

"ES"
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Oh one last thing, all those printer files that are in my downloads folder, I assume it's safe to delete them all now that the wireless is up and running?
.............that should be fine ............enjoy

Return to “Printers & Scanners”