HP Envy 4500 Printer Will Not Scan-No Device Found <SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

HP Envy 4500 Printer Will Not Scan-No Device Found <SOLVED>

Post by rbeltz48 »

I am running Linux Mint 13 and thought a lot of this printer up until now. My wife went to scan a document and both the Simple Scan and Xsane programs show "No Scanners Detected" or "No Devices Available". When I go to open the HP Device Manager 3.14.6 it shows "No Installed HP Devices Found". Yet, at the same time, under System-Administration-Printing it shows the installed printer. it will print a test page or a document just fine. It seems that ever since I did an accumulated Level 3 update, things don't seem to work right anymore. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: HP Envy 4500 Printer Will Not Scan - No Device Found

Post by pdc_2 »

HP provide this http://hplipopensource.com/node/333 amidst the hplip documentation

they suggest various checks

Code: Select all

sudo  hp-check

sudo  hp-check -t
....................etc ....................

does any of this help?
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

I have an Envy 5530
After battling with it to try and have it as just a wireless printer on my LAN, I gave up

I connected the Envy via USB to my Desktop computer (that "fixed" the Simple Scan - No Device Found)
The envy is still connected wirelessly to the LAN as well. I set it up with a Static IP Adx ... 192.168.0.252 ... it's important to use a high number like 252 ... It's outside of some router dynamic range or another so there is no router conflict.

I can now use Simple Scan, BUT, an even better way to scan is to open my browser and go to the Envy's IP Adx and do a web scan via the GUI there. The options are greater that way than with Simple Scan. PLUS ... you can do everything from the browser's Envy GUI, that is available from the front panel of the Envy.

I'm finally happy with the Envy now and it is reliable. There are however, 2 instances of the Envy in my Printers folder in System Settings on my Desktop computer. One for the USB connection and one for the wireless presence so I can access it via my browser.

My laptop also works reliably and wirelessly with the Envy now. I don't really understand it, but apparently the key to "fixing" all the issues was to go ahead and hook the Envy up to my Desktop via USB ... and maybe assigning it a Static IP helped ... dunno

OH ... I'd tried the hp-check, hp-doctor, installing the most current hplip available from the HP website and everything else I could think of. Sometimes the Envy worked and sometimes it didn't. There was no rhyme or reason, whether I powered the Envy or the computer first or whatever. But no problems since connecting to the Desktop via USB ... just now I have two instances of the Envy in the Printer Manager on the Desktop computer. One for USB and one for wireless. I set the USB connection as the Desktop computer's Default and am still able to use the Envy via my browser as needed.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

pdc_2 wrote:HP provide this http://hplipopensource.com/node/333 amidst the hplip documentation

they suggest various checks

sudo  hp-check

sudo  hp-check -t
....................etc ....................

does any of this help?
It showed an error: Unsupported Printer. Would you believe that? IT will print but not scan!
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

JoeBingo wrote:I have an Envy 5530
After battling with it to try and have it as just a wireless printer on my LAN, I gave up

I connected the Envy via USB to my Desktop computer (that "fixed" the Simple Scan - No Device Found)
The envy is still connected wirelessly to the LAN as well. I set it up with a Static IP Adx ... 192.168.0.252 ... it's important to use a high number like 252 ... It's outside of some router dynamic range or another so there is no router conflict.

I can now use Simple Scan, BUT, an even better way to scan is to open my browser and go to the Envy's IP Adx and do a web scan via the GUI there. The options are greater that way than with Simple Scan. PLUS ... you can do everything from the browser's Envy GUI, that is available from the front panel of the Envy.

I'm finally happy with the Envy now and it is reliable. There are however, 2 instances of the Envy in my Printers folder in System Settings on my Desktop computer. One for the USB connection and one for the wireless presence so I can access it via my browser.

My laptop also works reliably and wirelessly with the Envy now. I don't really understand it, but apparently the key to "fixing" all the issues was to go ahead and hook the Envy up to my Desktop via USB ... and maybe assigning it a Static IP helped ... dunno

OH ... I'd tried the hp-check, hp-doctor, installing the most current hplip available from the HP website and everything else I could think of. Sometimes the Envy worked and sometimes it didn't. There was no rhyme or reason, whether I powered the Envy or the computer first or whatever. But no problems since connecting to the Desktop via USB ... just now I have two instances of the Envy in the Printer Manager on the Desktop computer. One for USB and one for wireless. I set the USB connection as the Desktop computer's Default and am still able to use the Envy via my browser as needed.
hp-check shows an error that the printer is NOT supported! Rather strange. I tried at the outset when I bought the printer to set it up wirelessly but failed to do so. How can I get this thing to scan? How do I set up a Static IP for the printer? Here HP makes an All-in-One printer with good reviews and it won't scan under Linux. Someone dropped the ball somewhere at HP! THanks.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

Hook it up via USB and we'll go from there.
Once hooked up via USB, you should be able to go to Printers in the System Settings and ADD printer.
Once you are able to ADD printer, Simple Scan should work for you.

Also, once you do that, we can work on the wireless interface.

As far as setting it up with a static IP, I did that from my wireless router browser interface (198.162.0.1) after my 5530 was already connected via USB and connected wirelessly. I have a Linksys E2000 wireless router and it was easy. I could have also done it from the front panel of the Envy 5530. I don't know what kind of router you have. I also don't know if the 4500 has a feature to set a static IP from the front panel interface, but likely all Envy series printers do and you can find instructions for assigning a static IP in your printer user's guide. Just use a high address number such as 198.162.0.252

Oh ... I tried calling HP for assistance too. I was told, "we don't support Linux". I asked to speak with a phone support supervisor and the supervisor gave me the number of a third party company that develops HP driver support for Linux. When I called the third party, they were no help because they don't do support for/with end/home users of HP products.

Can you hook it up via USB and ADD printer in the System Settings? I know you want to use it wirelessly and maybe we'll get to that, but if you try to hook it up via USB and still get the Not Supported prompt when trying to ADD printer ... there is something wrong with your printer and/or your Linux software installation. Hooking it up via USB is just a troubleshooting idea that will help narrow some things down.

Bottom line is that I have no expertise in this area. Like you, I'm just some guy that installed Linux, bought a printer and tried to hook it up. I fumbled through on my own and got it going. If you don't want to try some of the things I did and would rather wait for others to chime in ... that's cool and honestly, hooking one (1) up and getting it going was enough for me :) LoL
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi there rbeltz48

I wonder which version of hplip you are using: I think Mint 13 had 3.12.2 of hplip as the standard issue

from here http://www.hplipopensource.com/hplip-we ... eries.html the HP Envy series seems to want the 3.13.6 as a minimum .................

from here http://www.hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/gethplip.html I see 3.14.10 is the current release

I would imagine if you want to download a newer version, that the Install Wizard page http://www.hplipopensource.com/hplip-we ... index.html would be a good one;
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP Envy 4500 Printer Will Not Scan-No Device Found <SOLV

Post by rbeltz48 »

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I went through the install process I received from Launchpad for installing HPLIP-3.14.10, released on Oct. 7, 2014 on my two IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T61 production machines. Everything works fine now in both the Simple Scan and Xsane programs. I was using HPLIP-3.14.6 which did not have support for the HP ENVY 4500 series printers.

I spent nearly 25 years in the I.T. field in various capacities. And what I discovered is that HP rushes their products to the marketplace before they are ready. Why is it that it took more than 18 months to have Linux support available for this printer? Ridiculous! HP makes excellent Linux servers. Why can't they pay more attention to the home market?

I also wonder why the repositiries aren't up to date with the latest printer software. The only HPLIP version in there now is 3.12.2 which is about 3-4 years older than the current version HPLIP-3.14.10.

Thanks again. :D

Rick Beltz
Retired I.T. Consultant
==================================
Here's the answer I received from http://www.launchpad.net which worked like a charm.

Can you try installing hplip-3.14.10 from source file and reconfigure the printer? Please follow the below steps to do the same.

1. Download source
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/f ... .10.tar.gz

2. Untar the file : tar -xvf hplip-3.14.10.tar.gz
3. change directory to hplip-3.14.10: cd hplip-3.14.10
4. run configure command : ./configure --prefix=/usr
5. run command 'make' and 'sudo make install'

Delete the existing print queue for this printer using either 'hp-setup -r' command or 'system-config-printer'

Next run command 'hp-setup' to configure new print queue for this printer.

Run command 'hp-scan' in terminal and let us know if you are able to initiate scan function.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP Envy 4500 Printer Will Not Scan-No Device Found <SOLV

Post by JoeBingo »

Awesome rbeltz48 !!!
And thank you for taking the time to explain the problem resolution :)
Seems like no matter which OS I've ever used, I've always had the biggest headaches with printers/scanners for one reason or another LoL
Downloading and installing the latest hplip didn't fix the issue for me but that was maybe almost a year ago and the version now available MAY work best for me as well ... dunno. However, everything seems to be working for me right now, so I won't mess with it until issues pop up again.
Good on ya for figuring it out. Well done !!!
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP Envy 4500 Printer Will Not Scan-No Device Found

Post by rbeltz48 »

It worked for a while. Meanwhile, I applied Levels 1, 2 & 3 updates as time went on. I am still running Linux Mint 13. The HP Envy 4500 printer all of a sudden will not scan. I previously installed hplip-3.14.10 some time ago and I was able to scan OK. I went to scan a few weeks ago and it gives the same error I had before installing 3.14.10. So I installed 3.15.2 hoping that it would correct the problem, but it didn't. I removed that and reinstalled 3.14.10 but still a communications error. Here's the error I'm receiving:

ENVY_4500
---------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/ENVY_4500_series?serial=CN47P1220S05X4
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/ENVY_4500.ppd
PPD Description: HP Envy 4500 Series, hpcups 3.15.2
Printer status: printer ENVY_4500 is idle. enabled since Thu 26 Mar 2015 04:20:19 PM EDT
error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hp:/usb/ENVY_4500_series?serial=CN47P1220S05X4
error: Device not found
error: Communication status: Failed

I wonder if one of the system updates created a problem. What is Code=12? The printer still prints fine but will not scan on this laptop, a Lenovo T61. But I can scan on my two other T61s.

I posted this on Launchpad but have not yet received a solution. Any suggestions or others with a similar problem?
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

I have Mint 17 installed on my computer and the HP ENVY 4500 is installed too. It did not work with the version of HPLIP in the repositories. It works with 3.15.2 and it worked with the previous version. I did have to install and uninstall and reinstall once because it didn't work but it is working now.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

I solved the problem by upgrading to Mint 17.1. Everything runs fine now. But I spent hours trying to figure out the problem.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”