[SOLVED] Epson SX525WD - scanner not recognized on 17.1

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
canhoto
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Epson SX525WD - scanner not recognized on 17.1

Post by canhoto »

Hi.

I've been using other distros based on Ubuntu uo to 12.04 (mainly Kubuntu and elementary OS). But recently I decided to move to Linux Mint.
So, I installed LM 17.1 Cinnamon, and I'm very pleased with it.
My wife, on the other hand, entered the Linux world directly with Linux Mint, with 16.1. When I installed 17.1 on my desktop, I also upgraded her computer to 17.1, by doing a clean install.
And here the problem begins. We have an Epson SX 525WD AIO which has always worked well, both for scanning and printing, with my other distros and also with my wife's LM 16. It worked with the default CUPS driver.
But, since the upgrade to 17.1, the scanner stopped being recognized. Printing still works, but not scanning.

I tried to solve the problem by installing Epson's own generic driver following these instructions. The only thing I couldn't achieve was to install the iScan utility (it gives me dependencies problems).

But still no luck. The scanner is still not recognized.

I should mention that in my laptop I have Ubuntustudio 14.04 installed, with exactly the same kernel, and the scanner is recognized.

Any help, please?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
turtlebay777

Re: Epson SX525WD - scanner not recognized on 17.1

Post by turtlebay777 »

Have you tried installing Ubuntustudio 14.04 on the two non working computers to see if it solves the problem?

With respect, Linux is really for experienced people who don't mind going out on a limb and trying new things. It's not a replacement for Windows where everything is done for you.

Good luck.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I refer you to this thread which should cover at least some of your questions:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=185165

Specifically, dependency problems occur when you try to install the two downloaded scanner drivers out of sequence.
I assume that you are using wi-fi on at least one of your printers. You could try turning your firewall to OFF. If that then works, I will advise you of the two lines of code you will need for your firewall. You do, of course, have to download and install the necessary network plugin from the Epson site.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
canhoto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by canhoto »

turtlebay777 wrote:Have you tried installing Ubuntustudio 14.04 on the two non working computers to see if it solves the problem?

With respect, Linux is really for experienced people who don't mind going out on a limb and trying new things. It's not a replacement for Windows where everything is done for you.

Good luck.
Thank you for your answer, but... it reminds me of my other life when I used Mac OS. It's the kind of answer you find in Mac OS forums. Like "never mind, you just need a new computer", or "don't touch anything, go to an Apple reseller".

It's a nonsense answer. Obviously, I want to solve the problem within Linux Mint, not move to another distro.

And was never a Windows user! And, as you can see from my post, I've experienced different things with Linux...

Again, thank you, but, with respect, think a little bit better before answering.
Linux Mint 19.1
Desktop: Processor AMD A8-6600K APU with NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Graphics, 16 GB RAM
Laptop: Processor Intel i5-6200U@2.5GHz with Intel HD 520 Graphics, 8 GB RAM
canhoto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by canhoto »

kyphi wrote:I refer you to this thread which should cover at least some of your questions:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=185165

Specifically, dependency problems occur when you try to install the two downloaded scanner drivers out of sequence.
I assume that you are using wi-fi on at least one of your printers. You could try turning your firewall to OFF. If that then works, I will advise you of the two lines of code you will need for your firewall. You do, of course, have to download and install the necessary network plugin from the Epson site.
Thank you.

Actually, it doesn't recognize the scanner even with a USB connection. It's not a Wifi-specific problem.

I'm having problems installing iScan. Even after installing iScan-data, it tells me there's a dependency problem with libtdl3.
Linux Mint 19.1
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Canhoto; if I could join in this thread;

If I were looking for the drivers for the SX525WD, I would start here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX and entering the name takes me to http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 3ecc33dc12

You say
it tells me there's a dependency problem with libtdl3.
..............I am just wondering whether you downloaded the ltdl3 version of iscan; it is for very ancient kernels; ideally epson would make it harder to find

My understanding is you would need two things:

1) iscan-data_1.33.0-1_all.deb ............(and I think you have downloaded and installed that already?)

2) iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb or iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb .............. you don't tell us if you have 32bit or 64bit system and the correct version of iscan is needed

If it is going to be part of a network, you need the network plugin http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... e914a5e10f

and again it is either the iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1_amd64.deb or the iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1_i386.deb

if that installs, it should create an entry in your Menu/Graphics for Image Scan! for Linux and that will be what drives your scanner I understand
canhoto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by canhoto »

Hi, pdc_2! Thank you for your kind answer.
pdc_2 wrote:Hi Canhoto; if I could join in this thread;

If I were looking for the drivers for the SX525WD, I would start here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX and entering the name takes me to http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 3ecc33dc12

You say
it tells me there's a dependency problem with libtdl3.
..............I am just wondering whether you downloaded the ltdl3 version of iscan; it is for very ancient kernels; ideally epson would make it harder to find

My understanding is you would need two things:

1) iscan-data_1.33.0-1_all.deb ............(and I think you have downloaded and installed that already?)

2) iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb or iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb .............. you don't tell us if you have 32bit or 64bit system and the correct version of iscan is needed

If it is going to be part of a network, you need the network plugin http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... e914a5e10f

and again it is either the iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1_amd64.deb or the iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1_i386.deb

if that installs, it should create an entry in your Menu/Graphics for Image Scan! for Linux and that will be what drives your scanner I understand
I have an amd64 architecture. I think I downloaded the correct deb (but I will check it in a moment). I've installed iscan-data first, and when I try to install iscan that's when I have the dependencies message.
Linux Mint 19.1
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so you need iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb .........( as opposed to iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl3_amd64.deb which is for ancient kernels)

I am still thinking you only get the error message for ltdl3 when you attempt to install an ltdl3 package; ...................whereas an ltdl7 package should be fine .........
canhoto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by canhoto »

pdc_2 wrote:so you need iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb .........( as opposed to iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl3_amd64.deb which is for ancient kernels)

I am still thinking you only get the error message for ltdl3 when you attempt to install an ltdl3 package; ...................whereas an ltdl7 package should be fine .........
Thanks. I'll try that later, once I reach my desktop.
Linux Mint 19.1
canhoto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by canhoto »

pdc_2 wrote:so you need iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb .........( as opposed to iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl3_amd64.deb which is for ancient kernels)

Thank you! That solved the problem. I had the wrong package!
Linux Mint 19.1
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [SOLVED] Epson SX525WD - scanner not recognized on 17.1

Post by pdc_2 »

delighted! Enjoy!

we're all here to help!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”