canon mg5400

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mlmaher

canon mg5400

Post by mlmaher »

Hi I have tried the tip with loading the cnijfilter-mg5400series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz file but I am still unable to print. Looking for some more suggestions please. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: canon mg5400

Post by pdc_2 »

Forums are sort of like playing poker.......................how much can you let the others see the cards you hold in your hands.................
Hi I have tried the tip
..........you are playing a pretty tight hand there ...............we really have little idea of what you have done ........................

have you installed libtiff4 ?

(Canon's driver for the MG5400 is version 3.8 from Nov 2012) ..............Ubuntu removed libtiff4 in its ceaseless march forward to innovation and a bright future .........Canon drivers < 4.0 need libtiff4 .................

get libtiff4 from here ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tiff3/ and go 14 or 17 down the list for the 64bit or 32bit versions................
mlmaher

Post by mlmaher »

Ah yes sorry

if you go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... ml#r=s&r=s and click to DOWNLOAD and select SAVE as your option; you will be downloading cnijfilter-mg5400series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz

if you open a terminal and copy and paste in the commands below.........please ask if you need help on any of these things.................

cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mg5400series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-mg5400series-3.80-1-deb
./install.sh

that will install the printer; the scanner driver installs the same way: it is its own programme called ScanGearMP get it from here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... ml#r=s&r=s

and it runs initially from a terminal with the command

scangearmp
I followed these instructions
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

.......... as in post #2,
have you installed libtiff4 ?
.........I would have thought the install script would stop if libtiff4 was not installed, and highlight it as a missing dependency
mlmaher

Post by mlmaher »

It was not installed. I have now installed it.
mlmaher

Post by mlmaher »

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver
Version 3.80
Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2012
All Rights Reserved.

==================================================
Command executed = sudo dpkg -iG ./packages/cnijfilter-common_3.80-1_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package cnijfilter-common.
(Reading database ... 173098 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../cnijfilter-common_3.80-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking cnijfilter-common (3.80-1) ...
Replaced by files in installed package cnijfilter-common-64 (3.90-76~ubuntu14.04.1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cnijfilter-common:
cnijfilter-common-64 (3.90-76~ubuntu14.04.1) breaks cnijfilter-common and is installed.
cnijfilter-mg5400series-64 (3.90-76~ubuntu14.04.1) breaks cnijfilter-common and is installed.

dpkg: error processing package cnijfilter-common (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
cnijfilter-common
Command executed = sudo dpkg -P cnijfilter-common
(Reading database ... 173104 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing cnijfilter-common (3.80-1) ...
Purging configuration files for cnijfilter-common (3.80-1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...
mark@mark-P5K-Deluxe ~/Downloads/cnijfilter-mg5400series-3.80-1-deb $

Still doesn't appear to be working. Thanks again for your help.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Still doesn't appear to be working.
........... I am not sure if you saw these messages in the terminal as it ran the install script
cnijfilter-mg5400series-64 (3.90-76~ubuntu14.04.1) breaks cnijfilter-common and is installed.
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cnijfilter-common:
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
cnijfilter-common

if you open synaptic; the package manager programme; and look for any files that are
cnijfilter
and if you right-click and select each one for COMPLETE REMOVAL

whilst in synaptic, check you can see libtiff4 listed ...........
_____--

when that is done, close synaptic; and re-run the install script; (ie open terminal...........and then the commands would be:

Code: Select all

cd Downloads
and

cd cnijfilter-mg5400series-3.80-1-deb

./install.sh
............ as you unpacked the compressed file before, there should be an unpacked directory there for you with the install script inside it ............

in your somewhat enigmatic opening statement
Hi I have tried the tip with loading the cnijfilter-mg5400series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz
................where did you get that first package please?
mlmaher

Post by mlmaher »

Thank You your suggestions worked! I think this is where I found that line but not 100% sure. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p910290
mlmaher

Post by mlmaher »

How do I go about getting the scanner to work as well on that printer?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

SOLVED; canon mg5400 works well with Canon debian drivers

Post by pdc_2 »

glad it worked out; you have the hardware, others can only make suggestions so we all learn by trial and error what works!!

for the scanner, Canon supply a scanner driver; (they supply it in 3 formats: rpm, debian and source code); so you need the debian format from here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 70502.html

and click to download and SAVE what will be scangearmp-mg5400series-2.00-1-deb.tar.gz

if you open a terminal and paste in the commands below; line by line; hitting enter after each paste .........

cd Downloads
tar -zxvf scangearmp-mg5400series-2.00-1-deb.tar.gz
cd scangearmp-mg5400series-2.00-1-deb
./install.sh

you can see the format is as for the printer driver;

crucially, to run ScanGearMP, you MUST in a terminal issue the command

scangearmp
...................... as I explain below, Simple Scan WILL NOT WORK ...............

if the above command works, one sets up a launcher; right-click on your desktop; go about 4 down the list to "create a launcher" .......the COMMAND must
scangearmp
and all else is at your discretion

see the thumbnail for what the launcher dialogue box looks like

the open-source backend for scanning; that drives such GUI front-ends as Simple Scan and xsane; does not yet support your MG5400; however as much of linux is a community of volunteers; you could help greatly.........as you have the hardware..

by joining what is called the sane development list ......... they are a friendly and active bunch; they can tell you what to do, but if you helped them, your MG5400 would work with sane, and you would help others:

so 2 things:

1) join the sane development list
2) in preparation for that, install the latest version of sane (it is called the development version);

1) go here http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/ ... sane-devel and join the list

2) go here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... h#p1006693 to post #2 for how to add Rolf's ppa; (Rolf manages the latest version of sane);

Return to “Printers & Scanners”