"Waiting for printer to become available"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
windowsnoob

"Waiting for printer to become available"

Post by windowsnoob »

Hi all.

Printer: Samsung ML-1450 laser printer.

Description of problem: Often when printing from VMWare (win xp guest) - the first batch of print is successful (am printing double sided, so I have to manually flip the paper over to print the second batch). Prints to the host printer. However, when I print the second batch - the print status is set to "processing" - and just hangs there.

When I bring up the printer state it says "Processing - Waiting for printer to become available."

What I then have to do is unplug the USB connection and then replug it back in and then it prints.

It's just annoying to have to replug the USB every time for this. Can anyone help me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Samsung ML-1450 issues printing via vmware

Post by pdc_2 »

in post #4 here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6#p1011086 in this thread, I advised how to install the driver that Samsung provide for their printers: I see you using vmware and I wonder if it might be easier to print from Mint directly to the printer: I am wondering if things might go better?
windowsnoob

Re: "Waiting for printer to become available"

Post by windowsnoob »

Hi there, thanks for your suggestion.

1) I have work applications that require windows xp. These also require a lot of printing so unfortunately I need to stick with the windows XP in vmware. I also do a lot of booklet printing with a windows program called fineprint which is great. These require the manual duplex where the problem is.

2) I already installed the unified linux driver onto my system. It said I was missing sane or something though, but I proceeded with the installation anyway as I did download a sane thing through the repository but the installation kept saying I didn't have it.

3) Once installed I was successfully able to print a test page from linux. There are 2 test pages. One had the color wheel. The "self-test" page just said "if you can read this you have the wrong driver installed." Wonder if that's a joke because if wrong driver installed wouldn't it just not print anything?

So the issue persists of having to disconnect the USB and reconnect it when printing a second batch of jobs (manual duplex) required for booklet printing.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”