Brother DCP-197C - Scanner Not Working - Mint 17.1

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NDW57

Brother DCP-197C - Scanner Not Working - Mint 17.1

Post by NDW57 »

Hi, just installed Mint 17.1 64 bit replacing Mint 16. I use a Brother DCP-197C printer/scanner and had a devil of a job persuading it to work properly under Mint 16. The printer worked fine but the scanner wouldn't play at all. Eventually I got it working with the forum's help.
I'm now having exactly the same problem with 17. I downloaded and utilised the "Driver Install Tool" from Brother and ran that. A number of files were downloaded and as before the printer works nicely but the scanner is being a complete ass again. When I use Simple Scan all I get is "Failed to Scan" and "Unable to Connect to Scanner". Curiously, if I click on "Change Scanner" in Simple Scan a dialogue box pops up that clearly shows the programme knows DCP-197C is the "Scan Source". I have run the command “lsusb | grep -i Brother” which did the trick previously but without success this time.
Any ideas ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Brother DCP-197C - Scanner Not Working - Mint 17.1

Post by pdc_2 »

does the advice to download the Brother file from this thread help? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=197963
NDW57

Post by NDW57 »

That file is already there - I'm invited to reinstall it. Curiously, when I ran "sudo scanimage -L" no scanner was identified.
NDW57

Post by NDW57 »

I give up - the scanner worked last night without the addition of any software. I suspect that an update resolved my issues.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”