[SOLVED] Getting Canon MP620 to print via wifi

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anthonyb
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Getting Canon MP620 to print via wifi

Post by anthonyb »

Hi everyone,

Recently dumped Windows XP for Cinnamon 17.2 as part of a SSD upgrade on my Thinkpad. Pretty new to Linux but so far I have gotten everything working great, except for one major thing - wifi printing.

I have a Canon MP620 that was auto-detected great just by plugging into the USB port. It prints test pages fine while connected to USB, but I would like it to print wirelessly (as it did on XP) so I can use the laptop throughout the house. I have tried installing it as a wireless printer using the Printers application, but when I put in the local IP address of the printer, I always get "There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'client-error-not-possible'" I'm not sure what this means.

When I try using the CUPS website (localhost:631) it seems to install fine but the printer doesn't print, at least not wirelessly.

Thanks for any help!
Anthony

EDIT -- Just wanted to post an update. I was able to get this to work by installing the "bjnp-cups" package via the software manager. Then, going through the CUPS website I was able to detect the network printer over wifi and add it to my laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”