Canon PIXMA iP4300 - Drivers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Canon PIXMA iP4300 - Drivers

Post by ozdroggy »

When I first installed LinuxMint I set up my printer using the Control Center -> Printing -> Add -> Canon iP4300 -> Select printer from database -> Canon and ended up with Canon PIXMA iP4300 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 Simplified.

I now have a problem which might be caused by the setup above. My printer stalls here:
Printer Properties - FinPg1.png
Note: Idle - Finished Page 1.....

After reading this forum for ideas I have now found these drivers [packages]

cnijfilter-common-2.70-x.i386.rpm -------- Common package

cnijfilter-ip4300-2.70-x.i386.rpm -------- Model-specific package

Before proceeding further I ask - Is there any advantage in using these 'alternative' [or are they original] drivers to those suggested by Control Center?

Still feeling my way with Linux..... :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mike.

Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware
Memory: 3.8 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz x 4

System Status
Available disk space: 299.8 GiB
mmesantos1

Re: Canon PIXMA iP4300 - Drivers

Post by mmesantos1 »

ozdroggy wrote:When I first installed LinuxMint I set up my printer using the Control Center -> Printing -> Add -> Canon iP4300 -> Select printer from database -> Canon and ended up with Canon PIXMA iP4300 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 Simplified.

I now have a problem which might be caused by the setup above. My printer stalls here:
Printer Properties - FinPg1.png
Note: Idle - Finished Page 1.....

After reading this forum for ideas I have now found these drivers [packages]

cnijfilter-common-2.70-x.i386.rpm -------- Common package

cnijfilter-ip4300-2.70-x.i386.rpm -------- Model-specific package

Before proceeding further I ask - Is there any advantage in using these 'alternative' [or are they original] drivers to those suggested by Control Center?

Still feeling my way with Linux..... :?
Well I would recommend using driver from Canon's web page: http://support-au.canon.com.au/P/search ... g_os=Linux

These are the recommended drivers from the Manufacturer. I happen to work for a large printer manufacturer. :wink: I just can't say which one. :)
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ozdroggy »

Thanks mmesantos1,

Your link points to where I downloaded the files I mentioned. Now to work out how to install them :(
Mike.

Linux Mint
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware

System Status
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ozdroggy »

Now I'm getting WORRIED :shock:

I am now using the iP4300 Printer Driver Guide that came with the files above.

First problem - am I Fedora Core 6 or openSUSE 10.2 :?:

I started to travel down the openSUSE path and first I had to do 'sudo apt-get install rpm' This went OK and I tried 'rpm -ivh cnijfilter-common-2.07-x.i386.rpm' again to find I then have to 'please use alien to install rpm packages on Debian'. Here is a screenshot:
TerminalForceDebian.png
and NOW I am getting a bit out of my depth :oops:

Question: Am I going in the right direction :?: If so what do I type next :?: If not, what should I be doing :?:

Still learning - even at the age of 80 :lol:

EDIT: It now appears that my problem was caused by a 'rogue' PDF file which would not print past page 1. Printing hard copy of other PDF files does not cause a problem.

Have nevertheless decided to press on with the packages. I have found and installed ALIEN so will now try 'alien -d -i file..... file..... and see what happens. :wink:

Mike.
Mike.

Linux Mint
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware

System Status
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ozdroggy »

Back again after 18 months of using the original CUPS drivers (Canon PIXMA iP4300 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5) quite successfully I had to re-install Linux Mint and now have a very odd problem. My printer will not print any BLACK. As I have a dual boot system I have tried it on Windows XP and it works 100%. In an attempt to resolve the problem I have again tried to install the CANON drivers; cnijfilter-common-2.70-2.src.rpm and cnijfilter-ip4300-2.70-2.i386.rpm that have come from the Canon web site.

Once again I have struck problems :evil:

Attached is the screen shot after the first file.
alien~cnijfilter.png
It does seem as if the 'conversion is working OK as I end up with the file cnijfilter-common-2.70-3_i386.deb in my root directory.

Please....What am I missing???
Mike.

Linux Mint
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware

System Status
poltiser

Post by poltiser »

I use iP1700 with cheap commercial driver TurboPrint - many years - no problem, friendly service. I did not meet any distro using my printer out of the box...
Scanner of HP 3670 works recently with only some distros, not with others... drivers are a headache!
For example it worked for some time with LM11, but stopped after updates...
TurboPrint might be what are you looking for.
Good luck.
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ozdroggy »

TurboPrint might be what are you looking for.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately that did not work but I have found that it does appear that the PGBK cartridge/nozzle is NOT firing even though it is recognised by various printer applications and the red light is on as with the four other cartridges. TurboPrint Monitor does show the ink level as full - as it is - but the Ink Counters only show one BLACK counter where I would expect to see two - the BK and the PGBK. Extensive cleaning has failed to resolve the problem. Also, when I chose to print GREYSCALE the printer goes through the motions but spits out a blank page. I now realise that under Windows XP the "BLACK" that I do get is really from the colours and is a bit washed out. Looks like a hardware glitch :roll:
Mike.

Linux Mint
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware

System Status

Return to “Printers & Scanners”