Problems installing Brother DCP 115 c drivers [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonnyill

Problems installing Brother DCP 115 c drivers [SOLVED]

Post by jonnyill »

Hello.

Tried to print a document for the first time with my USB printer and the driver was not found, printer not on the list of available drivers. I googled this and found, on the Brother site that I was supposed to use drivers for the MC 210. I downloaded these and ran the files but it still doesn't work. When I plug the printer in it just comes up the same error message, driver not installed. Neither DCP 115 c or MC 210 are on the list of available drivers.

Any help would be appreciated, this is Mint Isadora 9 BTW. Thanx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inktitan

Re: Problems installing Brother DCP 115 c drivers

Post by inktitan »

Just curious, are you using the 115 driver from the disk or from this site?
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... d_prn.html
jonnyill

Post by jonnyill »

I'm using the one from that site.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

Have you tried the Brother drivers extra in synaptic?
jonnyill

Post by jonnyill »

Sorry, I'm pretty new to Linux. What's that?
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

Go to menu=>system=>synaptic package manager. The type in Brother and you will see a list of Brother drivers already in the repos. You might need to go under setting=>repositories and select the unselected ones if you are not seeing them.
bumbum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bumbum »

Isn't there an easier way of doing this? I've got a DCP 110C and this is a nightmare trying to figure out. I'm installing packages through synaptic and Brother Solutions and trying to figure out how to enter commands in the terminal and I don't have a clue what I'm doing...
Tried going into printer configuration and that's no use to me as it won't even let me try to add a printer.
It shows up in 'Computer' along with other mounted drives and identifies correctly as Brother DCP-110C but doesn't actually seem to know what the device is.
Totally lost here :(
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

These are the menus you should see when you go to Menu=>System=>Printing. the little window on the right has the add printer button. There you should see a list asking how your printer is interfaced with your PC. Via network usb or what have you. Chose the proper option and you will get the next screen if it does not automatically detect your drivers. After installing the Brother-Drivers-Extra from synaptic I had many options here for installed drivers. Note the top of the list Bumbum. After that it should work. Now I use Mint 9 Xfce so it may appear slightly different for you but it should work the same. Which versions are you two using?
jonnyill

Post by jonnyill »

Brilliant! Sorted out now. I had downloaded the drivers but not installed them with the package manager. Linux rocks once you get your head round it.

Thanks a lot Inktitan, you're a star. :D
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

:D I am glad to hear it! :mrgreen: Linux is amazing. as long as we stick with it. Good luck.
Dont forget to edit your first post to [Solved}. :wink:
Vella

Re: Problems installing Brother DCP 115 c drivers [SOLVED]

Post by Vella »

Thanks - installing through the Synaptics brother-extra was super easy! Printing works fine. Now does anyone know how to make a scanner work? :roll:
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

scanning install instructions from Brother

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... scn1a.html

and the scanner driver

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... d_scn.html

we leave you to match what you need
Vella

Post by Vella »

Thanks pdc_2... I just had to read carefully through it - turns out - I didn't add the rules!! (the files I had leftover from my struggle with Ubuntu last year, but totally forgot about the rules needed to be added!)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”