New Mint 11 install. Brother HL-2140 prints blank pages....

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zeddock

New Mint 11 install. Brother HL-2140 prints blank pages....

Post by zeddock »

USB connection to a Brother HL-2140 which works on the Ubuntu dual-boot side.
Seemed to install the driver upon pluging in for the first time.

I can see it through cups.

All print jobs, including Test Prints give me pages of blank paper.

Any ideas?
Did I include needed information?

TIA,

Zeddock
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AdamS

Re: New Mint 11 install. Brother HL-2140 prints blank pages.

Post by AdamS »

I use and sale brother printers for the most part exclusively.

Some of the best of the best in my book.

But, they have a odd install process lol.

LOT of prerequisites need met before driver install.

Other wise crap like this happens.

What I would do is go to there site. Grab the latest driver packs, then follow this to the T before driver install.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

sane-utils must be installed

psutils must be installed

"sudo aa-complain cupsd" command is required before the installation.
2. "sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model" command (as it is) is required before the installation.

For Debian based distributions earlier than Ubuntu8.10, Debian5:
"sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/cupsys /etc/init.d/lpd"

"sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd" command is required if the folder does not exist.

1. Open "sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.
2.Add the following two lines to the end of the device list. (Before the line "# The following rule will disable ..."):

The lines to be added---------------------------

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

3. Restart the OS.

was a copy and paste off there site lol. I fixed there codes for you.

Ya should be able to just make sure them apps are installed and run the commands in terminal.
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

sane-utils installed
psutils installed
terminal gives me:

Code: Select all

sudo: aa-complain: command not found

I too love Brother printers. I have an MFC-6490 which will need all of the steps Brother demands before it is up and running as a scanner and printer, but I could have sworn that the 2140 just installed and worked in Ubuntu. Sorry for comparing, but it is a natural thing to do at this stage.

zeddock
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

Any help?

Thanx.

zeddock
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

This printer is known to fail if the resolution is set to 1200dpi. It is not clear to me whether this is the horizontal or the vertical resolution, but you can try setting both to 600dpi. This mode is reported to work fine.

The printer is not fully supported by Linux. Also Ubuntu cannot use the full capabilities of it. Its Linux support is 'Mostly': http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Bro ... er-HL-2140
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

It is supported. There is some bug somewhere but the quick fix is this... when going to select the driver, use the next one down under the 2140... I think it is 2170w. It works great.

Thanx all.

I have moved back to more familiar territory on buntu 11.04 even though I hate the new stuff. Also, even with a fresh install it seems to lag.
Wish me luck! But maybe I will be back.

zeddock
cranks

Post by cranks »

It is supported. There is some bug somewhere but the quick fix is this... when going to select the driver, use the next one down under the 2140... I think it is 2170w. It works great.
Worked a treat for me!! :lol: :lol:
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

AlbertP wrote:This printer is known to fail if the resolution is set to 1200dpi. It is not clear to me whether this is the horizontal or the vertical resolution, but you can try setting both to 600dpi. This mode is reported to work fine.

The printer is not fully supported by Linux. Also Ubuntu cannot use the full capabilities of it. Its Linux support is 'Mostly': http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Bro ... er-HL-2140
I have not had any problems with my HL-2140 printer for the last few versions of Mint. It was only when I upgraded to LM 11 that it started printing blank pages.
This is for both the 32 and 64 bit versions on different PC's. Plus mine were set to 600 DPI.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

cranks wrote:
Worked a treat for me!! :lol: :lol:
Worked great for me too! :D
meece

Post by meece »

another quick fix is to just select
Printer Properties

Make and Model [select change]
then check it on Brother then click [forward]
select this *second* driver option on right hand side "Brother HL-2140 Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e [en]" then click [Forward]
click [apply] on next screen and your good to go
worked on both my Mint 11 laptops

*Edit* just checked the printer settings on my old Mint 8 Server .. whatada know same driver "Brother HL-2140 Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e [en]" used on that one too should have checked that first wouldl have saved me 30 minutes of dicking around to find out the issue. :mrgreen:

note I didn't install anything else other than plugging in the printer and letting Linux auto configure it, under Mint 10 it worked flawlessly but I had to manually change it to the above for it to work under Mint 11, :roll: :roll:
goanna300

Post by goanna300 »

I have a similar but sad story to recount.

I have had a much-loved Brother HL-2040 printer for several years. It printed brilliant mono cpoies with whatever OS I threw at it - yes, even Linux Mint 11.

Until....

I briefly had to take my Mint 11 notebook into the next room to print a colour job. All OK. Mint Installed the Canon Colour driver, printed.
When I next tried to print from the Brother 2040, It printed blank pages, infinitely, as much paper as I could throw at it. Well, not *really* blank. Slightly faint grey. Driver Problem.

When I used a different OS, the 2040 printed OK. Well, not *really* OK. Sort of dark-grey text on a familiar faint-grey page. Hardware problem. Linux Mint had caused permanent damage to my printer. Dismantling, cleaning to no avail. Linux Mint 11 has caused permanent, irreparable damage to my 2040 printer. Big driver problem.

Yesterday I bought a new HL-2130 printer. Installed the default driver. Typed the word "test" into Gedit and Linux Mint 11 printed an infinite number of blank pages.

I followed the most recent advice in this thread, chose the second driver below the default.

The page printed perfectly.

I am so happy I will not have to endure *that* conversation with Brother Support - the part where they read me the Riot Act about Brother not supporting Linux and how sorry they are that they cannot replace my printer.
ezcor

Post by ezcor »

un saludo a todos
gracias a ustedes pude solucionar el problema de paginas en blanco de mi hl 2140
segui las instrucciones:
Cito "Make and Model [select change]
then check it on Brother then click [forward]
select this *second* driver option on right hand side "Brother HL-2140 Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e [en]" then click [Forward]
click [apply] on next screen and your good to go
worked on both my Mint 11 laptops"

estoy usando pclinuxos 2011
saludos

Return to “Printers & Scanners”