Mint 12 - printer not working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
long12

Mint 12 - printer not working

Post by long12 »

Hello

An expert just upgraded my OS from Mint 10 to Mint 12, and made it a 32-bit from the previous 64-bit. The pc is an Inspiron 530s and the printer is an Epson Stylus Color 740. Unfortunately, the printer's not working now. From 'File'> Selecting PDF, I get the window 'Printing' then 'Print Completed' but nothing else happens. Selecting 'name of printer' - nothing happens.

I've checked the forums here, but no postings relate directly to this problem.

I'm a newbie, and if anyone has a solution to this, please post back. In simple steps, please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mr. Pants

Re: Mint 12 - printer not working

Post by Mr. Pants »

your not printing to PDF are you? I believe it defaults to "print to PDF" until you change it to the actual printer.
long12

Post by long12 »

No, it's set to the printer (ticked), and it won't do a 'Print Test Page.'
long12

Post by long12 »

I've just found this website: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor ... enprinting
which seems to provide the answers(?) but with my lack of experience, I'm hesitant about trying to enter anything I don't fully understand. And, anyway, the printer seems to be detected by the OS: as under System Settings > Printers > Location, Model, it's entered there! So what's holding it up? Anybody?????
Mr. Pants

Post by Mr. Pants »

OK, well Im no Linux guru my self but I would try this,

remove the printer in the gnome gui

type 127.0.0.1:631 into firefox or whatever browser you use and this will bring up the CUPS admin panel.

add the printer in the webui and see if that works, verify in synaptic that you have hplip installed also. I was having issues also, I added it via the webui and all is well, I didn't need to update the hplip drivers either
long12

Post by long12 »

Hi, Mr Pants

Thank you for this. Though, would you mind giving me the simple steps needed to set this up? :oops:
Oh! And, do you also know how to add the features: amount of ink remaining, clean printer heads...etc?
Mr. Pants

Post by Mr. Pants »

lol, that is pretty easy my friend, I can see If I can do a walk through when I get home tonight. all there is to do is remove it from the int printer utility and re-add it from the browser based user interface though ;)
long12

Post by long12 »

You obviously haven't managed to get home yet, Pants. LOL.
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

Mint 12 does not see my Epson Sylus Photo R340 USB printer.
Checked my usb cable...still hooked up. All I see in System Settings for Printers is Print to pdf.
Even booted with printer powered up, but still not recognized. Never had this problem before.
All Cups files are there. Need to print some important files. Now I find out!! grrr :evil:

Dave

Return to “Printers & Scanners”