Problem Setting Network Driver in Driver Manager

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Problem Setting Network Driver in Driver Manager

Postby capolino on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Hey. I'm a huge Linux fan, but the thing that has kept me on Windows for so long is that my network drivers never seem to be compatible with the distro I am using.
I finally found Linux Mint, which I completely fell in love with and in driver manager, I can set the wireless driver so I can get wireless. Ethernet has never been a problem on Linux, when I am on a cable I can always get internet.
I finally backed up all my Windows files and I install Mint over Windows; I was thrilled that it installed with no issues and that I could boot on and off with no issue at all.
Then... I tried to get internet. I opened up Driver Manager and on the bottom, where it says "Broadcom Corporation: BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller" and then under it in smaller print "This device is not working" I don't know why it says that, even when I switch to the driver that allows be internet, it still says that, so I would say that anyone reading this should probably just disregard that... Anyway, on default, the box that is ticked it "Do not use this device" which I have to go to the option that is above that which is "bcmwl-kernel-source Version 6.30.223.141+bdcom-0ubuntu1 Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source". Then I need to click "Apply Changes", it will give me the small loading bar that is in place of the two options "Revert" and "Apply Changes" and when that gets to the end, I get a little alert that I am not connected and connections are available. This always works when I am in Live Mode.
When I installed and booted off and then loged back on, I tried to complete these steps.When I went through it and clicked on "Apply Changes", the bar showed up and began to load. Then... the bar disappeared and the box that said "Do not use this device" was ticked once again... I just can not figure it out.
Everytime I try to do this, it hands be the same exact problem. No error message, popup or anything. It just does back to the way it was like I clicked "Revert"
I really appreciate any help that anyone can offer me. I love Mint and I really want to use it.
capolino
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem Setting Network Driver in Driver Manager

Postby jungle_boy on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:38 am

I have a laptop with BCM 4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless card, it runs fine with LM14 and LM16, cinnamon, OOTB.

Download iso image again, put it in a usb stick; using LM Live CD check md5sum of downloaded image, if OK, burn it again and reinstall, or reinstall using usb stick image.
LM16 Cinnamon (PC); LM14 Cinnamon with AMD Catalyst (notebook)
HP Pavilion g4-1316br, AMD Quad Core, 1,5 GHz, Radeon 6520G/7450M,
Linuxcounter Registered User #506065 (2008)
jungle_boy
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Wireless