[Solved] Restart wifi needed after shutdown w/ wifi disabled

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
klaplong

[Solved] Restart wifi needed after shutdown w/ wifi disabled

Post by klaplong »

Hi all,

I am running Linux Mint 13 MATE 64-bit on a Dell XPS 15 (L502X). Though I know this isn't the best supported laptop there is for Linux, I generally love my Mint experience.
Despite this, I have one problem, which is humongously annoying. One time I manually disabled WiFi through the Fn + F2 combination on my keyboard. After this, I shut down my computer. The next time I logged on, my WiFi wasn't working. After turning it off and on again through the hardware keys, it worked.
The problem didn't go away after shutting down with working WiFi, so you can understand why this is such an annoying problem.

I have tried searching the internet, but I couldn't find any useful leads. I also posted my question on the IRC-channel a couple of times, but I didn't even get a response (not even someone acknowledging they have read my question). I really hope someone can help me get this thing out of the way!

Cheers,
Klaplong
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Restart wifi required after shutdown with wifi disabled

Post by viking777 »

Try this. First open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

rfkill list
I get this.

rfkill list
0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: yes
	Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: yes
If I wanted to unblock these interfaces I would run

sudo rfkill unblock 0
sudo rfkill unblock 1
Rfkill only unblocks 'soft' blocks, hard blocks are caused by hardware switches, but the soft unblocking might be all you need, try it anyway, it can't do any harm.
klaplong

Re: Restart wifi required after shutdown with wifi disabled

Post by klaplong »

Awesome, that worked.

I just rebooted to try and surprisingly I didn't have to reset my wifi. That might have something to do with a kernel update I ran earlier today.
I disabled the adapter and rebooted, and I did get the problem. After running your code it worked again.

Thank you very much! I will mark the thread as solved.

Return to “Networking”