wifi stopped working -LM 14 Nadia Cinnamon 64-bit

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
squeezethecroc

wifi stopped working -LM 14 Nadia Cinnamon 64-bit

Post by squeezethecroc »

Hello all, greetings from snowy England

I installed Linux Mint 14 Nadia Cinnamon 64-bit on a Dell Inspiron 1545 a few day ago. I connected it via ethernet to my router during installation and also got the wireless working without any problems. My son took the laptop with him to Canada but has been unable to connect to the free wifi that's available at the hostel where he's staying, although the other members of the group had no problems connecting theirs.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this? Unfortunately, I can't give any details of the hardware as the laptop is now in Canada and I can only communicate with my son for a few minutes at a time.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
snison

Re: wifi stopped working -LM 14 Nadia Cinnamon 64-bit

Post by snison »

It is because your Mint is using dnsmasq as the dns resolver (127.0.0.1) instead of getting a DHCP DNS server. Horrible design! You can't login to their web portal to authenticate without the onsite DNS server.

Code: Select all

sudo pico /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
put a # in front of dns=dnsmasq
sudo restart network-manager
Look in the clock tray and right click the icon that looks like two cables connecting.

Code: Select all

click:
edit connections
wireless
SSID name
edit
IPv4 settings
"Require IPv4 addressing..."
available to all users
save
close
left click on the cables icon and select the SSID
squeezethecroc

Re: wifi stopped working -LM 14 Nadia Cinnamon 64-bit

Post by squeezethecroc »

Thank you snison for your reply.

I'll get my son to do that. I'm still puzzled about why it worked before though....

Return to “Networking”