Wireless problems in Mint 13 with ASUS N13 (0b05:17ab)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aneurysm1985

Re: Wireless problems in Mint 13 with ASUS N13 (0b05:17ab)

Post by aneurysm1985 »

Thanks caf4926, that seemed to work. (I had previously tried modprobe, but omitted the -rv and -v components).

My internet speed still seems quite slow. I am having trouble streaming audio, yet a Windows Vista laptop right next to my Wireless adaptor can comfortably stream video. Here are 2x results from speedtest.net from the 2 computers:

Linux Mint 13 machine w/ Atheros TP-Link TL-WN821N v3
Ping: 20 ms
Download speed: 0.43 Mbps
Upload speed: 1.90 Mbps

Windows Vista laptop
Ping: 83 ms
Download speed: 6.56 Mbps
Upload speed: 7.31 Mbps

(I can run additional speed tests if you'd like, to get more points of data.)

Please let me know if you have suggestions for increasing the download speed of this Atheros chip.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I'm really no expert
But those figure kind of suck

Not sure of an answer ..
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please reboot. If you modprobe manually then it hasn't read the nohwcrypt option in ath9k_htc.conf.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
aneurysm1985

Post by aneurysm1985 »

Hi AlbertP, you were correct. It does seem faster after a reboot. Current speeds from speetest.net:

Ping: 15 ms
Download speed: 5.40 Mbps
Upload speed: 11.96 Mbps

(I also got a download speed of 16.86 Mbps earlier, although that was with a door open between the router and my computer which is normally shut).

Any other tips for upping the transfer speed beyond the stats listed above?

I am now noticing a different problem. (Sorry that my issues are still not 100% fixed!)

I am noticing that whenever I open the application Skype, my wireless network loses connection. From that point onwards, it does not seem to ever successfully re-connect to my household network. (Despite multiple pop-up windows getting me to confirm the password for my network).

A reboot of my PC seems to allow the wireless to work again, but opening Skype has caused this failure 3 times in a row (and I have not successfully connected to Skype via wireless).

Any guesses to why starting Skype might be causing my wireless to disconnect?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I found this
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-d ... d-p/180064

The first option offered, --- have a go

Other comments refer to windows
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
aneurysm1985

Post by aneurysm1985 »

Thanks but those instructions don't seem appropriate for my installed version of Skype (4.1.0.20). I do not see any checkbox relating to "enable uPnP". Instead, all I see in the 'connection' area is a field for "Use port xxxxx for incoming connections", plus a drop-down and 4x fields relating to proxy connection (Host/Port/user/password).

I am still having the problem with Skype disconnecting my wireless (before I am successfully connect to the Skype server).

Also, I have noticed that after this happens, my computer doesn't shut downreboot cleanly. Instead, I am getting a black screen with white text. Here are some of the lines which I wrote down:

ath: Failed to wake up in 500us
ath: Chip reset failed
ath: Unable to reset Channel (2412 Mhz) reset status -22

(Is there some sort of way I can access the full version of this text, such as a Linux log file, so I can post it here for you to see?)

After I press enter a few times on this screen it comes up with the message saying "caught shutdown signal", and then reboots.

However, when the machine gets back to the Linux Mint 13 username/password screen, I find that my USB mouse does not work at all. And the green light of the TP-Link USB wireless adapter is stuck on solid green (rather than flashing). The only way I have found to get around this is to unplug the wireless adaptor, which seems to serve to 'reset' the USB functions of my motherboard, and allow the mouse and wireless adapter to work as normal the next time I reboot the machine.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

My wireless was working just fine (ath9k) then .... intermittent no data, or no connect, or just a trickle of data. Of all things to fail! So I right-clicked on the taskbar bluetooth icon and turned it off. Then magically wireless works again. HTH
aneurysm1985

Post by aneurysm1985 »

Hi Minterator. I am not sure I have Bluetooth functionality on this computer. So I don't know if that is my problem.

I am still having the Skype problem mentioned above. But I have started a new thread on this forum dedicated to it. Hope readers of this thread can assist me.

Return to “Networking”