Cinnamon 14 sees wifi but MATE 14 does not??

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cinnamon 14 sees wifi but MATE 14 does not??

Postby ludude75 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 pm

I tried mint 12 live on this older 1.6ghz amd and graphics would not work. Tried Cinnamon 14 and it would boot live but horribly slow. It would see my pci wifi but so horribly slow I gave up on even trying to connect. Seen MATE is a bit more lightweight so I downloaded it and here I am but connected via LAN because it does not see my wireless devices.

How come Cinnamon would see them but not MATE?

PCI Wifi Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

USB Wifi Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter

MATE won't let me Configure either. USB is a ALFA AWUS036H It has worked with about any distro I have thrown at it. I thought Cinnamon and MATE were just GUI's or is there something with MATE that is not configuring or regestering the wifi?

Edit:

So I have tried the devices in another computer with same operating systems. Turns out 12 see's both devices but broadcom needs firmware update?
12 connects to realtek fine surfs fine. Neither 14 see's broadcom. Funny ubuntu 8.10 will work with it and backtrack 4. So probably needs firmware / driver.

14 Cinnamon connects to realtek and surfs super fast! 14 MATE connects to realtek but is slow and drops off. Funny it is same computer just different Desktop environment. Between MATE 14 and 12 I like 12 better as it boots up and wifi is ready for you to choose your network and all you have to do is enter password.
14 MATE seems like a pain cause it does not show any wireless devices and you just enter your ssid and encryption setting / password and cross your fingers.
ludude75
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Wireless