network folder location/address [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

network folder location/address [SOLVED]

Post by banjoman »

I have recently hooked up a Seagate GoFlex Live to my home wifi network. All computers and devices can access the files on it. On my Linux laptop it appears under the Network location of the File Explorer, works fine access, transfer, delete files etc... great.

The location address of the GoFlex folders start with afp:// but I cannot get an address of this type into any folder synching software (I have tried Unison and FreeFileSynch) so that I can compare and synchronise a file on the GoFlex with a file on my laptop. I have looked in other folders (mnt and media for example) to see if they are there, but they are not.

Under Windows, the GoFlex folders have drive letters and I can use AllwaysSynch for example to perform a synchronisation. There must be a way to achieve this under Linux. I have posted on the FreeFileSynch forum, but come up with nothing so far...

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated... thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: network folder location/address

Post by altair4 »

I've never used the afp protocol before but if you are mounting it through the File manager it's likly to be contolled by gvfs.

You didn't specify what version of mint ( 11, 12, 13, ... ) or what desktop environment you are using ( Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce ) so it's either here:
/home/your-user-name/.gvfs

Or here:
/run/user/your-user-name/gvfs

Of course if you are using KDE i have no idea where it is :)
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by banjoman »

:D

thank you, apologies for all the missing (vital) information - I am using Mint 14, Cinnamon - I found the GoFlex volume in /run/user/my_username/gvfs/afp-volume:host=GoFlexHome.local,user=my_username,volume=my_username/GoFlex Home Public/any folder within - quite a path name!!

however I was able to enter this into FreeFileSynch and it accepted it, so I can now compare, backup and synchronise folders on the GoFlex drive and my laptop - brilliant!!

as a bonus, I can now save files directly to the GoFlex drive from any program by navigating to /run/etc through the Save dialogue (the Network locations cannot be navigated to in the Save File Explorer as they are not listed anywhere there)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

banjoman wrote:thank you, apologies for all the missing (vital) information - I am using Mint 14, Cinnamon - I found the GoFlex volume in /run/user/my_username/gvfs/afp-volume:host=GoFlexHome.local,user=my_username,volume=my_username/GoFlex Home Public/any folder within - quite a path name!!
I think it should be a requirement that all developers be forced to use the things they create so that things like that don't happen.
as a bonus, I can now save files directly to the GoFlex drive from any program by navigating to /run/etc through the Save dialogue
If you do that sort of thing regularly you might want to create a bookmark to the gvfs folder:

Go to /run/user/$USER/gvfs and bookmark it: Bookmarks > Add Bookmark. You can even rename the bookmark from "gvfs" to something else if you want. It will show up as such on both Nemo and the Save As dialog box.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: network folder location/address [SOLVED]

Post by banjoman »

great advice, there is always a solution, you just have to find it, or get in touch with someone who can find it for you - thanks again.

I agree, thorough testing and use might throw up some unforseen difficulties that should be addressed, and I was surprised and a little disappointed that no solution was forthcoming from the FreeFileSynch forum, I would think it quite a commonly required task to synch a local and a network folder

however, we got there, and it has to be said, FreeFileSynch is a very good program, the GUI is well designed and the software has comprehensive configuration options so you can fairly easily get exactly the comparison of folders, synchronisation or backup you need

Return to “Networking”