Net mounts freeze desktop if switching between wired / wifi

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Net mounts freeze desktop if switching between wired / wifi

Postby artifice on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm

I've got a network share on a Win7 machine that is automounted as follows in /etc/fstab:

Code: Select all
//192.168.123.456/Shared /media/Shared cifs rw,user,uid=MYUSERNAME,gid=MYGROUPNAME,credentials=/home/MYUSERNAME/.cifscredentials,_netdev 0 0

This mounts my share to the desktop (Mint 14 Cinnamon) with no problem, whether I'm starting the laptop with wifi enabled or with the wired connection enabled. If I doubleclick the 'Shared' icon it opens up the shared drive, etc..

However, if I boot the laptop with wifi enabled, and then turn off wifi and plug in the wired ethernet, and then doubleclick the 'Shared' icon, the desktop will freeze, and stays frozen until I switch back to wifi.
Conversely, if I boot the laptop with the wired connection plugged in, and then switch to wifi and then doubleclick the 'Shared' icon, the desktop will again freeze until the wired connection is restored.

In both situations, only the desktop is frozen.. I can use the programs menu.. i can move windows around.. I can load web pages.. etc etc.. but all icons on the desktop are completely frozen until the original network connection type is restored.. This is extremely annoying. Is this being caused by something in the fstab syntax, or is it likely someplace else?

(I wanted to post this in the main 'networking' forum since it relates to wired AND wireless, but I have no "New Topic" button on the main forum.)

-art.
artifice
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Wireless