kyocera K-R1 - connects, no internet. SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

kyocera K-R1 - connects, no internet. SOLVED

Post by Flemur »

I know next to nothing about wireless except that it's always a PITA, and I don't know anything useful at all about modern phones.

I'm using a Kyocera K-R1 wireless router - the computer sees the KR1 and connects OK, but there's no internet access.
Using cables, everything works OK.
I've gone thru the KR1 setup and made sure wireless is activated and not encrypted.
The computer is an HP CQ62 and works great with other wireless setups.

The KR1 was a freebie, and does NOT have a card in the rear card slot, and apparently doesn't come with one.

My question is: what is the card for ? Do I need it to access the internet from a regular computer (not a phone) ?

The KR1 install guide says:
Before You Begin–System
Requirements • A compatible 32-bit PCMCIA (EVDO) card with service, or a wireless 1xEV-DO mobile phone with service (subject to services and service terms available from your carrier).
• Computer(s) with Windows, Macintosh, or Linux-based operating systems, and an installed Ethernet adapter, and [a browser].
• WiFi System Requirements: A 802.11b, or 802.11g Adapter
and, later on, implying that card is for a phone:
32-bit PCMCIA (EVDO) Card or 1xEV-DO Mobile Phone Connection
Some website says:
The Kyocera KR1 mobile router has the ability to connect many different computers directly to the Web, using only one broadband EV-DO PC card. The KR1 is essentially a command hub, talking to other local computers over the 802.
Does that mean you need a card or not?

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: kyocera K-R1 - connects, no internet.

Post by Flemur »

Solved - rebooted the computer several times and now it's got internet access...no card installed in the KR1.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Networking”