Realtek rtl8187 connection inconsistent to non-existent

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Realtek rtl8187 connection inconsistent to non-existent

Postby PussyCat on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:16 am

I'm currently trialing Mint 13 Maya Xfce 64bit - to supplement Mint 8 Helena Gnome which to date has been by far my favourite distro and running silky smoothly on two machines (but never upgraded other machines beyond Mint 7 or even 5 due installation issues peculiar to Mint and mentioned at length elsewhere).

However, I'm determined to bite the bullet this time and get Maya - because of the lts - on to all machines (1.8 down, 3.2 to go).

This machine (and another with the same n/w card) is proving problematical. As the title indicates, wifi n/w connection is unpredictable. Very few of the 13 other neighbourhood n/ws are detected yet it pretends to have 100% connection to my network. Yet, on a good day, it will connect ok for about 5 mins then rapidly deteriorate until I am bombarded with requests for my password.

Research leads to two possible stratagies.

1. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=125738 (3rd reply by calisto053) but...

Code: Select all
chris@Eclipse ~ $ sudo iwconfig
[sudo] password for chris:
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:off/any 
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:on

eth0      no wireless extensions.

chris@Eclipse ~ $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off
Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

[NB Wireless is currently inactive in favour of a temporary eth0 connection]

So I seem to be stuck there although I suppose I could still try to create the suggested file?

Alternatively...

2. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1294824 (post #4)

I've already download and extracted rtl8185_linux_26.1031.1207.2009.release.tar. But given that the thread is over 3 years old where do I stand with wpa_supplicant-0.5.5 since wpasupplicant 0.7.3-6ubuntu2 (upgradeable to 2.1) is already installed?

Should I proceed with either of these stratagies or are there other suggestions (research always seems result in "solutions" from tweezers to sledge hammer)?
PussyCat
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Wireless