Tplink -TL-WDN3800 Compatability

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Tplink -TL-WDN3800 Compatability

Postby Phil E on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:57 am

I am about to buy a new computer and need a wireless card installed. I was considering the above card but have read several reports of problems connecting with cards using the Atheros chipset. This card uses the AR9382 chipset and ath9k driver I believe. I am using Mint 9 at present but would probably upgrade to Mint 13 on the new setup. Has anyone got this card and are there any problems with setting it up? Your views would be much appreciated.
Phil E
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Tplink -TL-WDN3800 Compatability

Postby Maikzu on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:18 am

I have TL-WDN4800 and it works great. I have tested this on Mint 15 and 16, both 64-bit cinnamons. I think that if you have problems with Atheros, it is because your Mint is so damn old. I'm about to buy this WDN3800 to my other computer, i'll test it out once it arrives. And by the way, i haven't set anything up, i plugged my WDN4800 in my motherboard and booted up and connected to ethernet. Haven't done anything else. 4800 uses AR9380 chipset, but same driver.

Update:
As tejo below confirmes also, WDN3800 works. I have been testing this now for almost couple of weeks, and both, TL-WDN3800 and TL-WDN4800 work very well. Actually, because both computers are dual boot, I would not hesitate to argue that they work better on Linux than Windows. They work on both, but on Windows they sometimes lose connection easily, but on Linux both work like there would be cable coming to computer. Like a charm really.

I actually got here first place because I was googling if these work on Linux, and if there are some people who are thinking same as me, yes they work. If they dont, your Linux is too old. These work because of a driver in kernel, which means that whatever Linux you are running, it should work if the kernel is relatively new.

I have also found this site: http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/
There you can find information what works and what doesn't on up-to-date distributions.
Last edited by Maikzu on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free."
Maikzu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tejo on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:38 am

Just bought the WDN3800 and installed it in a dual boot PC (Win7 pro 64 bit and Linux Mint LMDE 64 bit) last evening. Windows took me 5 minutes to install the drivers (from driver cd). Linux Mint LMDE recognized the WDN3800 immediately and after typing my WPA2 key it was up and running within 30 seconds.
Afterwards i tried the WDN3800 with Mint 16 Cinnamon 32 bit on a live usb stick and it also ran immediately. So i can add this to Maikzu's experience that you probably have a Mint distro which is to old to recognize the card.
In 2.5 GHz i have a good connection. 5GHz is giving some problems concerning connecting and disconnecting intermittently. Also signal strength is low.
Didn't have enough time last evening to sort things out, but this weekend i will try to fiddle with antenna positions and install latest driver from manufacturer's site.
If problems persist with 5 GHz i think it's better to go for a 2.5 GHz card like the WN881ND which is a lot cheaper. I also got this one for my daughter's PC but haven't installed it yet.
After the weekend i will update this post.

Update:
This Saturday I fiddled a bit with the antennas and exchanged the WDN3800 stock antennas for some larger antennas I had lying around. In the 5GHz band it didn't give much improvement although now in Mint LMDE the connection dropped less than with the stock antennas.
The problem is that my PC is placed against the wall on a desk with a metal frame and also shielded off by a 22” monitor. The router is situated one (concrete) floor lower.
When I put a laptop with a 5 GHz wireless card on the desk, it has the same weak reception.
However when I move 4 or 5 feet away the 5GHz signal is improving rapidly.

At the moment i'm thinking about buying antennas with extension cables. TP-Link has some with 5 dBi gain (TL-ANT2405C) and 8 dBi gain (TL-ANT2408C) which both have good reviews and are relative cheap.
Only thing is that they are designed for 2.5GHz band and I have to find out on the internet how they will behave for 5Gz band.

In my daughter's PC i also installed the TP-Link WN881ND wireless card, which is only for 2.5Ghz. Seen from her room the router is two concrete floors lower. She has only Windows 7 installed on her computer but a Mint 16 Cinnamon live-usb stick also immediately recognized the WN881ND and after typing the WPA2 key I could access the internet. Received signal was low and I changed the stock antennas for two 5dBi antennas that were also lying around. With a bit of twisting and pointing I got a signal which was switching between fair and good. Also considering to buy her the aforementioned TL-ANT2408C antennas.
tejo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Phil E on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:14 am

Thanks for the information guys, I have been away for the last month, hence the delay in replying. I have not had chance to purchase the new computer yet but I will now be buying with confidence.
Phil E
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Wireless