My Wifi Kills all others

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kadag

My Wifi Kills all others

Post by kadag »

Very odd,

Runing Olivia on my Hp Pavilion.

when I go online via wifi
everyone else looses their connecion.

from terminal:
kadag@kadag-HP-Pavilion-dm4-Notebook-PC ~ $ inxi -Nn
Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller driver: wl
IF: eth1 state: up mac: c0:18:85:58:18:5e
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 10:1f:74:6b:34:ef

What to do? Everyone is hating me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: My Wifi Kills all others

Post by karlchen »

Hello, kadag.

First let me state that one of my machines uses a BCM4313 adapter as well. It works fine on Mint 13 32-bit (corresponds to Ubuntu 12.04). No other users connected through wifi to my router experience any problems, when this machine is connected and active as well.
karlchen wrote:inxi -Fx
System:
Host: paulchen Kernel: 3.2.0-39-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
Desktop: Xfce 4.10.0 (Gtk 2.24.10) Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
[..]
Network:
Card-1: Atheros AR8132 Fast Ethernet driver: atl1c ver: 1.0.1.0-NAPI port: 5000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: (mac removed)
Card-2: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller driver: wl bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eth1 state: up mac: (mac removed)
Yet, I remember having read similar reports like yours, kadag. The reasons were incompatibilities between a particular wifi card and particular routers or wifi adapters "misbihaving" because the driver software did not function properly and the wifi adapter started flooding the router with requests thus interfering with other wifi connections to the same router.

Maybe on Mint 15 the STA driver used for BCM4313 experienced some kind of "regression" and no longer functions as nicely as on Mint 13?
You might check the file /var/log/syslog for excessive messages about your wifi adapter. E.g. it re-initialiezes in very short interals. Or it loses cthe connection to the router in ver yshort intervals and re-connects over and over again.

Here are a few articles / threads which I found when consulting Google about "wifi blocks other connections". - Modifiying the search strings a bit may improve search results or stop Google from finding anything. This is the surprising thing about Google searches.

[url=http://askubuntu.com/questions/281035/laptop-blocking-other-computers-on-home-wifi-routers]http://askubuntu.com/questions/281035/laptop-blocking-other-computers-on-home-wifi-routers[/url]
[url=http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2131244]broadcom 4313 blocking other wifi users[/url]
[url=http://askubuntu.com/questions/277064/bcm-4313-proprietary-driver-blocks-wifi-for-other-devices]BCM 4313 proprietary driver blocks WiFi for other devices[/url]

Hope the found threads put you on the right track.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
kadag

Post by kadag »

Thanks so much, Karl

I'm still getting to the bottom of this.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Kadag.

I assume this means that the problem still persists? :shock:
As Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" has passed the end of its supported life by now, cf. Linux Mint Releases, I wonder whether for practical reasons, you might consider
+ upgrading to Linux Mint 16 "Petra" now or
+ upgrading to Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" as soon as it will be available (sometime in May)?
The idea is that both, Mint 16 as well as Mint 17, will bring along newer kernel series with newer hardware drivers. This might increase the chance that your Broadcom adapter will be supported better and stop causing trouble. - No warranty given, though.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Networking”