Broadcom 4352 wifi, is it even possible

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Broadcom 4352 wifi, is it even possible

Postby snydley on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:08 am

I bought an Alienware 14 laptop with a Broadcom BCM4352 wireless chip in it. I've been battling this for about a week now, trying to get it working in Mint 16 MATE, getting nowhere. I remember at some point, issuing a terminal command and it said the driver was loaded and the device was ok, or active or something, but it won't work. I think maybe I need to install the firmware, but I'm so confused now I don't know what to do.
Can anyone help me get this working?
Thanks,
Snyde
snydley
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Broadcom 4352 wifi, is it even possible

Postby bobafetthotmail on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:17 pm

I've googled around and none manages to make it work.

I would try installing the latest kernel (as most drivers are integrated in the kernel), http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-linux/

In case you can't connect it to the internet through an Eternet cable, download the .deb files from your browser by just copy-pasting the rest of the line after the wget in the navigation bar/field (the one that shows the site address, like www.google.com). Then save the files and when in Mint double click to install, starting from the smaller one to the bigger one. Then reboot and in the grub menu you will see that the first Mint entry has the updated kernel while there is a new entry that is in fact a submenu where you can go and choose to boot with the old kernel (useful in case the new kernel fails to load or is unstable).

In case that does not work I would jump the gun and replace that card with one that has good support, like say whatever from Atheros. It should be accessible under a removable panel under the laptop. http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/rev ... iew/page/3
in the image the wifi card is the smaller one, connected to the two black and white cables (the antennas) in the down right corner. Google some videos about replacing wifi cards if you need some guidance.
These cards can be found for 20-30 bucks on Ebay, or much less if you buy used. I don't see why someone would waste so much time for so little bucks.

Windows won't make a fuss anyway, as long as you install the drivers it will run them fine.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby RobNJ on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm posting from an Asus using a BCM4352, using Cinnamon. I found the working driver with "Driver Manager", in the "Administation" category of the menu.
RobNJ
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Broadcom 4352 wifi, is it even possible (SOLVED)

Postby snydley on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:42 pm

bobafetthotmail wrote:I've googled around and none manages to make it work.

I would try installing the latest kernel (as most drivers are integrated in the kernel), http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-linux/

In case you can't connect it to the internet through an Eternet cable, download the .deb files from your browser by just copy-pasting the rest of the line after the wget in the navigation bar/field (the one that shows the site address, like http://www.google.com). Then save the files and when in Mint double click to install, starting from the smaller one to the bigger one. Then reboot and in the grub menu you will see that the first Mint entry has the updated kernel while there is a new entry that is in fact a submenu where you can go and choose to boot with the old kernel (useful in case the new kernel fails to load or is unstable).

In case that does not work I would jump the gun and replace that card with one that has good support, like say whatever from Atheros. It should be accessible under a removable panel under the laptop. http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/rev ... iew/page/3
in the image the wifi card is the smaller one, connected to the two black and white cables (the antennas) in the down right corner. Google some videos about replacing wifi cards if you need some guidance.
These cards can be found for 20-30 bucks on Ebay, or much less if you buy used. I don't see why someone would waste so much time for so little bucks.

Windows won't make a fuss anyway, as long as you install the drivers it will run them fine.

THAT DID IT!! I installed the latest Kernel, and then installed the proprietary Broadcom STA driver and it works great now!!
Thanks for your help!!!
Snyde
snydley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby coffee412 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Just a word of caution about replacing the wireless card on the inside of laptops -

Some manufactuers (levono) do not allow this. I tried to replace a BCM 4313 and got an error from bios -

"Unauthorized hardware detected. Please remove or disable before booting operating system"

Just a word of caution on new laptops.

coffee
Fedora 20 / Linux Mint 16 / AMD phenom II X6 1090T / Raid5 / MythTV / No Gnomes here! - LXDE
coffee412
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobafetthotmail on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:28 pm

coffee412 wrote:Just a word of caution about replacing the wireless card on the inside of laptops -

Some manufactuers (levono) do not allow this. I tried to replace a BCM 4313 and got an error from bios -

"Unauthorized hardware detected. Please remove or disable before booting operating system"

Just a word of caution on new laptops.

coffee
Also HP does the same. (booo for HP)

Dell afaik does not. (Alienware is from Dell)
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Wireless