Windows to Mint 17 drag and drop problem?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Windows to Mint 17 drag and drop problem?

Post by coffee412 »

Well, Im going to post this here as this involves dragging and dropping files from windows 7 home premium to Linux Mint 17 smb share.

Shared out a raid5 thru filemanager to a laptop that is connected wireless from a server. It seems drag and drop from windows to linux is not working. No progress bar or error message on the windows side. Sometimes a few files will make it but (example - 16 jpegs of small size) alot of times they all dont go.

Reproduce from the windows laptop:
Select all
Drag to directory in smb share on server.

Outcome: No progress bar or confirmation. Files do not show up.

Copy and paste work fine.
Creating folders and deleting works fine.

Anyone else run into something like this or similar?

coffee
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Windows to Mint 17 drag and drop problem?

Post by coffee412 »

************* Update *******************

I see no one has had this issue before as I havent seen any replies. Thats fine. That basically means this is an uncommon problem and possibly not related to linux or samba. Therefore, I am going to tackle this another way. The router is a wrt-110 by linksys and what Iam going to do is replace it to see if the problem is related to a poor router issue in some way.

I did setup an identical setup at my shop and I cannot reproduce the problem. The difference in the setup is that I use an actual computer running ubuntu server as a router. Hopefully I can get this problem cleared up. Should I find a solution I will post it here in case anyone else is searching.

To recap though:

Computer 1 running windows 7 home prem networked to a mint 17 64bit basic file server running samba. Static ips on both.

Computer 1 has intermitten file transfer issues. One particular issue is that dragging and dropping 20 files will result in the loss of some files not being moved to the server. No error messages on windows end and nothing so far in logs on server. Sometimes individual files do not copy over via drag and drop.

coffee
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Windows to Mint 17 drag and drop problem?

Post by coffee412 »

Problem is solved. Bad router.

I did read alot of issues though on drag and drop failing in windowsLand7.

Have a great day everyone!

coffee

Return to “Networking”