Toshiba A665 - Lost Wifi [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paradive

Toshiba A665 - Lost Wifi [SOLVED]

Post by paradive »

Toshiba A665

after install, WiFi was fine... 2 days later, nothing.
it won't even let me turn "wireless" off and on via the task tray.

SO confused!

the wifi hotkey is F8 - pushed it so many times, i don't even know where i left it - though it's never made a difference.

any ideas?
please?

iwconfig =

Code: Select all

IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID: offlany
Mode: Managed Access Point: Not associated Tx-Power=off
Retry Long limit: 7 RTS thr=23473 Fragment thr: off
Power Management: off
at this point, i'm wondering if the card died. :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re:Toshiba A665 - Lost Wifi

Post by gtsfer »

You should really change (edit) the subject of that first post. It will send most people running away pretty fast. Try "Toshiba A665 - Lost Wifi". :lol:
Can you open a terminal window and run these two commands? Copy/paste and post the output of each one back here.

Code: Select all

inxi -n
rfkill list
I hope this is not similar to some other wifi issues I have seen with laptops. That hotkey to turn wifi on and off can cause big problems on some machines (with Linux at least). But the fact that it was working fine for two days makes me think maybe it's not in that category.
:)
Last edited by gtsfer on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlanWalker

Re: PLEASE HELP!

Post by AlanWalker »

paradive wrote:Toshiba A665

after install, WiFi was fine... 2 days later, nothing.
it won't even let me turn "wireless" off and on via the task tray.

SO confused!

the wifi hotkey is F8 - pushed it so many times, i don't even know where i left it - though it's never made a difference.
The manual for your system makes ref. to Fn+F8. for "Disabling or enabling wireless devices" (pp 221).

You didn't, by chance, forget the Fn key did you?
paradive

Re: PLEASE HELP!

Post by paradive »

nope.

didn't forget the fn key.

anyway, working now.

the solution was removing the battery (and unplugging it) for 5 minutes,
letting it reset,
then bam!
gtsfer

Re: Toshiba A665 - Lost Wifi

Post by gtsfer »

Good deal, you were "lucky". I know that some laptops get really confused by that hotkey wifi shutoff w Linux.

Please edit your first post and add SOLVED to the subject field, ok? It may help others.

Return to “Networking”