Wireless connection randomly not working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bwarnock

Wireless connection randomly not working

Post by bwarnock »

To start, I originally posted this in the newbie forum, but wasn't getting much traffic and figured this section may be better for my particular issue.

Nearly 1.5 years after installing ubuntu 12.04 and selling the machine, I decided to try linux again on a personal pc. So far, I love the cleanliness of the desktop compared to windows 8.1 and everything runs quite smoothly. I have however noticed two particular issues since installing linux mint 17: cinnamon.

1. After installing, I immediately connected my laptop to my home network, which worked pefectly, and then the next day, I took it to work and connected it to my works network. Both worked perfectly fine. But after a few hours, I turned off my laptop as I had a meeting to attend, and upon coming back, when I turned on my laptop, when clicking on the wireless connections, not only would it show that my works wireless network was "out of range"..it also would not allow me the option to enable wireless. As soon as I attempted to turn on wireless, it would immediately turn it back off. I initially figured it was a wireless driver issue, and decided I would work on it once I got home...as soon as getting home, it worked fine. The next day, I showed up at work, figuring there was an issue with my worrks network....it worked fine, connected perfectly...then when I get home, I could not connect to my homes wireless network. After a few hours and 2 reboots, it randomly decided to start working again.

Also, after bringing it back into work today, upon turning my laptop on, it was connected properly to my works wireless network, and then after it went to sleep and I opened it back up, it was now showing the network as out of range.

Currently, Linux Mint 17 is the only thing running on this pc, I cleared out Windows 8.1 but I still have the license key for that as well as windows 7 if needed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bwarnock

Re: Wireless connection randomly not working

Post by bwarnock »

JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Wireless connection randomly not working

Post by JeremyB »

So another that works after

Code: Select all

echo "options asus_nb_wmi wapf=4" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/asus_nb_wmi.conf

Return to “Networking”