Wi-Fi has to be manually enabled - what config? SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Captain Contours
Level 1
Level 1

Wi-Fi has to be manually enabled - what config? SOLVED

Post by Captain Contours »

I've installed Mint17 32bit Cinnamon onto a 10yr old Toshiba Satellite Pro with an INPROCOMM wireless LAN card.
I've managed to install the WinXP drivers via NDISwrapper and its driver is installed.
However and after a lot of digging around in this forum, in order to enable WiFi I need to do the following:

$ sudo ndiswrapper -l ( confirms driver installed and WiFi device is recognized. The ndisgtk app also sees the driver and confirms installation. )

$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
$ sudo ifup wlan0
The latter gives message: Ignoring unknown interface wlan0=wlan0

Then, the WiFi connects and comes to life.
How can this be automated? It's my Dad's laptop and he'll never manage to run these terminal commands all the time, once I return it for a Win-free future for it.
Ethernet connection is fine, but I need wireless preferrably.

This may also be linked to the netbook's slow / hung shut-down so I'm hopeful that both problems are related.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
---And I thought Windows 7 file structure was complicated .... Ignorance was bliss. But surviving on an old Dell Dim 3100 32-bit desktop (17.2 to 19.3 MATE) and an ASUS EeePC 64-bit XFCE.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

automatically load ndiswrapper at startup: how-to

Post by pdc_2 »

I wonder if some of this wiki would be of help to you?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... t_start-up

As ndiswrapper seems to work when prodded, I wonder if it can be automated to start.............at start-up .............

If the alchemy of this post is to be believed..................adding the word
ndiswrapper
to the file /etc/modules will work

Open the file with
gksudo gedit /etc/modules

..............do as above;

after editing, SAVE and CLOSE

any joy?
Captain Contours
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wi-Fi has to be manually enabled - what config?

Post by Captain Contours »

Much joy !!! :D

Many thanks.

As I am having to learn about linux from scratch, it's a case of either spending hours trawling the 'net for solutions and/or knowing when and where to ask.
For anyone else with similar problems, there are a few you.tube tutorials out there. These can be very informative indeed but may now be out of date if they were based on earlier ubuntu versions.
In my case, Mint 17 did not have the same .conf files setup as those on the tutorial, so for a while, I was going round in circles.
Installing ndiswrapper-dkms, ndiswrapper-source and ndisgtk got my driver.INF file installed.
It just needed the final tweak, as above, to get it fully configured.
---And I thought Windows 7 file structure was complicated .... Ignorance was bliss. But surviving on an old Dell Dim 3100 32-bit desktop (17.2 to 19.3 MATE) and an ASUS EeePC 64-bit XFCE.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

automatically load ndiswrapper at startup: it works

Post by pdc_2 »

that's great; hopefully it will all work smoothly for your dad

Return to “Networking”